PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with unusual problem

hickcox
03-28-2003, 10:13
Okay I bought one of those locking fuel cap's almost a year ago, and experience a little problem with the key not going in properly.
So to correct it I shot a bit of spray lithum grease into the lockset, it worked great (for the last 2 months).

But now that the weather has changed, the internal pawl is slipping and no longer grabbing the gear rack to allow removal of the fuel cap.

Any suggestions on how to remove this cap? I thought about drilling a couple of holes and pinning it, so I could remove it but I don't want to chance getting chips in my fuel tank.

Can anyone offer any other solution?

Silver Bullet
03-28-2003, 11:39
pick the lock or get a locksmith...might be a good excuse to get a lock pick kit!!!

hickcox
03-28-2003, 16:06
Thanks for the reply SilverBullet but the key works fine in the lockset, it was the grease into that allowed the pawn to start slipping.

I ended up putting an ice pack on it for an hour and it stiffened up the grease enough to get it to release again. I put the old cap back on until I can figure out how to keep this from happening again.

Thanks

Silver Bullet
03-28-2003, 18:06
That's good to hear...glad you can fill 'er up again! I am going to have to file the ice trick away for future use!!!

FirstDiesel
03-28-2003, 18:47
Do you live in an area where someone is going to steal your fuel?? Or have you made enemies that your afraid will put something in??

In years past when I lived and traveled in bad areas I had these caps on my cars. I always had issues with them and have decided they are not worth the risks.

ski
03-28-2003, 22:24
Put a locking cap on my wifes car, different reason though. she locks her heys in 3 times year and the cap I found has a combo on it with a hollow interior for a spare key. Works great and secure to boot, I will probably look for one to fit the dmax in the future

hickcox
03-28-2003, 22:38
FirstDiesel
The reason for the cap is to keep anyone from messing with my truck. I've been unemployed for going on 18 months, so I've been applying for work in areas where I don't usually drive.
Plus there have been a lot of vechiles broken into at night in my neighborhood lately.

Burner
03-28-2003, 23:11
Grease is a bad Idea in that lock. Dry graphite will work wonders. However, if you still want that "lube" feeling, use Remington spray lube. It will find the cracks, dry and become quite slippereyeyeyye as well as repelling the dust. ;)

Burner --> :D

ChevysRus
03-30-2003, 10:34
Might be easier to put a small lock on the door flap! Just a suggestion.

Keep on MAXIN!

Maverick
03-30-2003, 11:58
I have seen caps with a combination instead of a key.

txguppy
04-02-2003, 19:02
Hey hickcox, do you remember how much that cap cost you? About $7 @ acpartsdirect.com tongue.gif tongue.gif Sh!#can it and order a new one. I'm sure it'll be cheaper and MUCH less aggravating than jacking w/ the broke one. ;)