PDA

View Full Version : Big Problem! Tailgate Cables

EIS01
03-28-2003, 23:17
So it goes like this....I get home from a great weekend at the mountains. I have to drop my brothers borrowed Honda Forman off at his house. So I load it up and drive it there. We put ramps up to the tailgate and he backs it down. Just before the back wheels hit the ground, there is a loud snapp...then a split second later a loud crunch as my nice dent free tailgate slams into my bumper. You guessed it...the tailgate cables snaped, they got water down in them and rusted till they where weak. Just frayed ends, snapped right in the middle. Now I have a designer crease in my tailgate! :mad: Now don't start on me about these cables not being strong enough for a four wheeler, I see it in the Cabela's ad's so it must be okay. :rolleyes: Besides, it only weighs 600lbs. and when it broke most of the weight was on the ground. The dealer mechanics tell me this is a common problem, and a friend told me one just broke on his truck. So go buy new cables and replace yours as part of yearly maintenance. My truck stays in the garage too, so what is up with this cheap junk? Oh, by the way, now that I saved you all the expense of a new tailgate buy being the wise guy that tested the tailgate cables for you, please mail me five dollars out of gratitude for all the money I saved you...to help me purchase a new one. :D Have a great day, Kevin

[ 03-28-2003: Message edited by: EIS01 ]</p>

TxDoc
03-28-2003, 23:58
I had a cable break with my ATV in my 1997 Z-71 and made new cables and new attachment points to prevent that from occurring again:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/txdoc2/lst?.dir=/Extra&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/

TxDoc
03-29-2003, 00:25
btw--the ProTec tailgate has a concentrated load-carrying capacity tested to 400 lbs. over the capacity of the standard steel tailgate. I think the cables are designed to hold the tailgate and not really bear a large load. Water gets into the steel cables and rust fatigues them after time.

DonG
03-29-2003, 01:29
EIS01,
I think GM heard about their problem with the cables, because the new 2003 trucks are coming with cables with a sealed coating from one end to the other. When you buy replacment cables I would look at the sealed ones that keep the water out.

Sorry to hear about your tail gate.

Don

Nixter
03-29-2003, 11:20
EIS01,
Those cables should be plenty strong for that little 4 wheeler. Thanks for the info though, I will keep an eye on mine so I can change them if they rust.--Nick

EIS01
03-29-2003, 13:00
Thanks for the replys and advice on the cables! The problem with these cables is that they are coated with plastic, so how can you know when they are rusted like mine where? I guess the thing to do is get heavier ones. Thanks again, Kevin

56Nomad
03-29-2003, 23:47
Gosh..... sorry to read about insidious rust problems.

Those of us who don't have to deal with snow/salt and
harsh wet weather have a hard time understanding
how bad things can be.

I lived up in Syracuse for 6 years and had the rocker
panels of all my vehicles completely rot away before
my eyes......... :mad:

atvpilot
03-30-2003, 05:18
TxDoc2
Nice 4wheeler. I put a highlifter on my traxter XT. made a big difference for ground clearence. :cool:

[ 03-30-2003: Message edited by: atvpilot ]</p>

thechevyhdman
03-30-2003, 18:51
I had both my tailgate cables brake on me one day and it almost broke my back. I was rolling out a spare tire at the tire shop and the tire fell over, bam. Both cables snapped and the tailgate dropped right down on the bumper.....luckfully I had one foot on the bed and one on the tailgate if both were on the tailgate id of fallen onto a pile of rims and tires. They looked like they may have been broken a while as the cable strands were all rusty. Guess getting loaded with sand and salt with the tailgate down might have stressed out the cables a bit. 14 bucks for new cables.
Cost of not breaking my back/arms : Priceless

huntindog
03-30-2003, 21:02
Are there any stainless steel cables availible?
JK maybe another product? Hint, Hint.

Burner
03-30-2003, 21:08
I've got a Rubicon and a Rencon 4-wheeler. Why do you need ramps to unload? I just jump them. :D Really though, I would think that you could make SS cables. Stainless would be my choice for handling salt and water. You could even get them diped to look factory or match the color of your truck. :D
I hope the dent heals quickly. ;) \

Burner ---&gt; :D :D

DmaxCC6spd
03-31-2003, 06:47
Does anyone have a part number and price for replacement cables? I load and unload a 700lb commercial mower about a dozen times a week and don't want a problem.

TxDoc
03-31-2003, 09:53
TSC sells stainless.

JimWilson
03-31-2003, 11:27
TSC?

Husker Fan
03-31-2003, 13:01
TSC = Tractor Supply Company
http://www.tractorsupplyco.com

Probably the best store ever invented!

JimWilson
03-31-2003, 21:16
I think I've heard of that place. Isn't it the store where you can buy some underwear and a tire for your John Deere at the same time? :D

JimWilson
03-31-2003, 21:20
Alright, do you know what they call the darn things? I can't find them anywhere on their site.

Alli-max
03-31-2003, 23:19
My Passenger side one broke a few weeks ago. Havent had a chance to get a new one yet.

Nice design GM!! :rolleyes: :mad:

TxDoc
04-01-2003, 09:23
Jim,
The stainless steel cable is sold off of a roll. You would have to buy it, have it swaged, and coat it yourself.

They do sell the replacements like you find at AutoZone and O'Reilly's, but they are not stainless.

EIS01
04-03-2003, 00:09
Thanks for all the reply's! I hope you have good luck with yours...by the way, I have not received any payments yet toward my new tailgate :confused: . The thanks from some people....good luck with your new cables. Let us know what you think of non-oem cables when you get them. Have a great day, Kevin

Dave
04-04-2003, 00:07
Three weeks ago both cables for my tailgate broke while on loading my riding lawn mower. Really ****ed me off. Especially when you consider the truck is only 26 months old. Never happened with my last GM truck which was 4 years old. Sure wish they were like the flat metal brackets GM used prior to these crappy cables.

I guess I should be glad it was not my Harley I was loading or un loading. That would have been a lot harder to balance on a moving ramp.

[ 04-03-2003: Message edited by: Dave ]</p>

crafty
04-04-2003, 07:24
I had a broken cable replaced under warranty last month. This week I received a satisfaction survey from GM about that service visit. I'm going to use this as an oppourtunity to complain to GM about the poor design of the cables. I suggest that we all do this. It might make them think about redesigning them.
If nothing comes from it, at least I will feel better!!!! :D :D :D

JimWilson
04-04-2003, 14:18
With all these tailgate cables failing it makes me wonder when my spare tire is going to fall off -- those cables aren't even coated like the ones on the tailgate, so they're probably even worse.

a64pilot
04-04-2003, 15:06
Jim,
I'll bet the coating makes the corrosion worse. Otherwise we would be losing spares. Can you imagine the damage?
If anybody does come up with a stainless cable please post the source.

battmain
07-10-2003, 20:38
Anyone have a part number for the OEM cables?

I broke both of mine at the track last weekend. Thankfully I was placing a tire on the tailgate and not my foot! I didn't even drop the tire, just lifted it and placed it on the tailgate. Snap! What a POS! :mad:

blakmax
07-10-2003, 21:02
Sounds to me the cables break around salty situations :D Glad i moved from Michigan to Colorado :cool: :cool: :cool:

TxDoc
07-10-2003, 21:06
Originally posted by a64pilot:

If anybody does come up with a stainless cable please post the source. TSC sells stainless cable, but you would need to have the ends swaged by a cable and wire company.

Maybe best would be some Plasma Rope from http://www.masterpull.com Cannot rust ;) Many are using this in place of their OEM winch cable. It is in widespread use in winch competitions around the world.

chuntag95
07-11-2003, 09:59
Not much salt used in central Tx where my father-in-law lives. He broke both at the same time just putting the tailgate down. :eek: Luckily no dents since it wasn't under any load, just it's own weight. Now you guys got me nervous and I will go get a set to replace tonight. :( I know I would be standing on it when it goes or the wife and that would be bad for all concerned.

hoot
07-11-2003, 10:55
I heard all kinds of creaking sounds out of the cables when I drove my little Wheel Horse 310 Classic up the ramps. I'd be concerned if I was a landscaper like all the Ford Diesel guys ;) and had to use it all the time.

Brandenburg
07-11-2003, 11:02
PN Right hand side: 88892972
PN Left hand side: 88892973

$15.09 each at local dealer.

Autozone had some for $14.99 but they were an inch to short! :eek:

jcummins
07-11-2003, 11:05
Is the really any way to tell if you have a cable problem BEFORE they break? With the plastic coating I'm not sure you can. Not at my truck now, but will be looking tonight.

hoot
07-11-2003, 11:15
Do they break or just pull out of the crimped on eyes?

tysmith
07-11-2003, 11:25
Mine just plain 'ol broke, right in the middle where it folds up. Nice and rusty, too. Luckily, only one of mine broke, so my tailgate was not victimized. It broke two days before I traded it in, so I did not replace. Now if only my '03 was as fast as my '01... :(

Ty

battmain
07-11-2003, 17:13
Thanks brandenburg for the part numbers. I'll order them with the other parts I've been putting off.

Jcummins, you'd have to cut the plastic sheeting around where the cable bends to really know...on one of mine, I noticed the sheeting wasn't as smooth as the other cable that looked fine to me, but it snapped in the same place. (About the middle.)

Hoot See above...The crimped portion was fine. The broken cables are about the same length.

Tim Tapper Salt? In Florida? smile.gif Ok, so I'm about 30 mins from the Atlantic, but this is just a lousy design IMNSHO. :(

Kirkes
07-11-2003, 18:37
$8.60 At GM Parts Direct http:// web page (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/) /
Check them out.Copy and paste part #s