PDA

View Full Version : Coolant experts! Do you know this??

Alli-max
03-31-2003, 14:28
OKAY!!! I "caught" my truck giving away some coolant today!!! I have NEVER had any coming out underneath, so I was guessing it was doing it under load.

It is leaking from the blowoff tube. what causes this? I added back to the correct level, and it was low again 10 miles down the road....

a64pilot
03-31-2003, 15:24
Another head gasket?

mackin
03-31-2003, 16:42
Alli-max

I think what your finding is your problem, most likely a head gasket, is getting progressively worse.....You might want to think of repairing it soon....As the next chain of events will be hydro lock which very well could result in a cracked block....

Happened once to a member all ready....Around the same time Mav's took a dumper....Looks like we need a pyramid scam,everyone send Alli-max a dollar,for starters.....

Good luck......

MAC :eek:

[ 03-31-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Maverick
03-31-2003, 21:19
Alli-Max,
I too could not figure out where my coolant was going. Everything looked dry under the hood. I ended up taping a Pepsi 20oz bottle at the end of the overflow hose. It ended up filling the bottle and spilling over. I tried this with the cap tight and loose....same result. It does this because the leak in the head gasket is allowing combustion gas to pressureize the cooling system. The system can only handle 15 lbs and then it vents off the pressure out the overflow hose. I also noticed a fine black powdery residue in the coolant. I sticks to the inside of the clear plastic tank. These are all signs my truck had for my gasket failure. My fan would also run more often while under load too. It never overheated though. The combustion gases would heat up the coolant as well as the normal cooling system. Things to check out. Let us know.

[ 03-31-2003: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

Alli-max
03-31-2003, 23:56
The tears are flowing. Uncle Sam wants my money right now as well...

GOOD NEWS??? Well, I took it to a dealer a while back while still under warranty (about 90,000 miles). Now it has (gulp) 108,000 miles. I PAID FOR a new water pump. Then I replaced a small hose myself that the dealer gave me (no documentation, but I know the parts guy well).

mackin
04-01-2003, 05:29
Alli-max

Maybe they will have mercy on you......It was a condition you brought to their attention while under warranty.....Perhaps a miss diagnose issue......

Just in case bring your Knee pads !!!!!!! :eek:

Don't be silly not for that, but for begging ...Them cement floors are hard ......

MAC :D :D :D

Alli-max
04-01-2003, 09:29
yup Mackin!!! I got em out.
We make some nice knee pads here at Stanco. I am taking 2 pair with me. :D

The dealer that mis diagnosed it is going to call me back later... I have this WEIRD feeling those knee pads wont even work... :mad:

hoot
04-01-2003, 09:48
Alli,

If you took it in while under warranty for losing coolant, they will cover it. You just have to play hardball with them. I had work done out of warranty before because of not being corrected while under warranty. (A/C system on 94 Blazer $800)

Alli-max
04-01-2003, 11:15
I am afraid that is what I am going to have to do Hoot.... Get a dang lawyer involved. :mad: The dealer hasnt called me back yet, so I am guessing they are hoping it will go away. I talked to the general manager about 3 hours ago.

Alli-max
04-01-2003, 19:50
got the run around today a little from the dealer... talked to the GM and he said "Sometimes when you replace the water pump, other things can go out". What??? He also said "after we replace a water pump, we like to run and watch it for a day, but you needed to get it back" Huh?? Why release it then?

Getting the pressure test for GM done in the morning, and documenting EVERYTHING. At least I have all receipts.

Eldon... I was frustrated this morning... I didnt mean to scream curse words like Cummins and G2 this morning. Do you forgive me?? :D :D

Alli-max
04-02-2003, 09:10
done with the pressure test, and no leaks found. So, they think it is a VERY SMALL leak that shows under pressure.

They want to put some chemical in it that changes colors, but didnt have any at the time (they said when they get some, they will apply it towards my already paid for service and I could bring it back anytime).

For now, they thought I should try to Seal Tabs. Kinda like Bar Leak, but these are from GM. Cost $1.87. Now wouldnt that be nice?? A head gasket that is out, and fixed it for $1.87. YEA RIGHT! :rolleyes:

sonofagun
04-02-2003, 16:19
Alli-max,

Stay on this one. Don't give them any extra time. Call daily and get it to the district level quickly for a review. Be nice but be very persistant. They will review your previous service issues and may well give you some room with only 8000 over. The process can get harder if your dealer stiff arms you for another 10,000 miles and you aren't fussing loudly. Get a quick fix or move it up the line.

Good luck,
Bob

Alli-max
04-02-2003, 21:49
'preciate it Bob....

The low coolant light came back on, so I gues I am SOL. I am calling my original dealer in the morning to get him involved since I have bought 2 trucks there already...

Hey Bob.... I will drop you a line next time I am in SA and maybe we could go out for a beer or something? I usually stay near the Loop and 281 on the NW side of town....

Chris N5CWM
04-02-2003, 23:42
When installing horsepower increasing mods, expect the unexpected. Or in the case of DMax's and head gaskets, expect the expected? smile.gif

Over at the TDR a common phrase is, "I am my own warranty station" with regards to mods... :D

mackin
04-03-2003, 05:10
Gee Chris

=&gt;Or in the case of DMax's and head gaskets, expect the expected?

Thanks for the info...... :rolleyes:

I guess the same would hold true if you don't own a south of the boarder Cummins block your all CRACKED up ? 63,47,26,"53"hut,hut,HIKE....To get some Antifreeze........

MAC

;)

Chris N5CWM
04-03-2003, 23:58
Ow that hurt. :rolleyes:

I don't have a "53" block so no cracks in it's future.

All I'm trying to say is this:

Ya wanna play (HP MODS) and something breaks,
YA GOTTA PAY.

smile.gif

Over 40K miles on mine, no defects. Maybe I got a good one? ;)

Chris N5CWM
04-04-2003, 00:09
On the positive side..I know that GM/DMAX LTD/ISUZU did a lot of testing to ensure the long term durability of the head gasket. Different rates of expansion between the head and the block combined with the cylinder pressures of high compression diesel combustion (bla bla..)

I'm confident that by the time GM decides to sell Suburbans with a sticker on the fuel door that says "DIESEL FUEL ONLY" that all these problems will be sorted out. I just hope that they do not have the dreaded EGR on em by then!
Ever seen the intake manifold of a VW TDI? :eek:

mackin
04-04-2003, 04:56
Agreed you play you may pay .....

I'm not insulting a product, so don't be hurt...I'm just generalizing that all Mexican blocks will crack as your ensuing there is a head gasket problem in all Duramax's.....

&lt;I'm confident that by the time GM decides to sell Suburbans with a sticker on the fuel door that says "DIESEL FUEL ONLY" that all these problems will be sorted out.&gt;

How what where and when, is your info based on ?????? This subject has been beaten to death...The Duramax,Stock, has NO head gasket issue, or head related issues that I've seen.....

What does GM have to fix ?? Other then rumor mongers ??

MAC

[ 04-04-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

hoot
04-04-2003, 08:39
I've read and heard of head gasket failures on Cummins and PSD's.

I also have noticed that some of Cums and PSD's have been torn apart for preventative work. Not to mention torque converters and trannys.

In stock form you cannot beat the DMax Ally for matched powertrain and long term durability. This combination stock is one sweet setup.

The new 6.0 PSD is letting us know how good we got it. They can't service that puppy without major disassembly. To do a head gasket on the 6.0 PSD, you have to pull the engine. Ford also said they are dumping the CAT style HUEI injection system for high pressure common rail like we have. Hmmmmm

Lone Eagle
04-05-2003, 15:51
Every Dmax head problem I have heard of in my area came from a Ford driver. I don't know one guy that drives one that has had a problem. You would thing those guys have enough of their own problems to keep them occupied. Later! Lone Eagle

Chris N5CWM
04-06-2003, 20:22
My fault..serious thread drift.
My posts above were not worded quite the way I feel about the DMax. I am not trying to bash it!
The engineers that have been working on the DMax are doing a great job with the engine considering the criteria it has to meet. Emissions are going to be next. It would have been easy to make tons of HP and Torque if the EPA didn't have a say in how much particulate (soot), NOX, etc. that are produced. The aluminum head debacle really has no bearing on the general assumption that aluminum itself is not up to the task. Where the problem lies is in regards to heating and cooling, different rates of expansion/contraction between iron and aluminum. Am I right? That's the way I see it. So the GM/DMax LTD engineers that are working on the head gaskets probably get little sleep at night. ;)
What I don't like about the new tech common rail stuff is that it is being forced upon the engine manufacturers, with very complex, expensive electro-mechanical components that will be cost prohibitive (someday) when the vehicle is long past warranty and the truck needs maintenance. Just how much LESS pollution? How much is it gonna cost for injectors in a few years, as well as the other components? Hmmm.
The new light truck diesels are great examples of current computer controlled technology and make serious power compared to what we had just a few years ago. With any luck the American car & light truck buyers will recognize this and start asking for more diesel cars as a result.
With that I'd like to say I'm a GM DMax, PStroke, Cummins diesel fanatic..it sux that Ford is having a hard time with the new 6.0 (doesn't help convince people diesels are the future).
And like I said in an earlier post, I'm confident
that GM will get the DMax sorted out..just a matter of time. Heck, running a Juice could be good for GM, since in effect it will cause the weak components to show up earlier so GM can work on beefing them up for a better, stronger more reliable product! (I am NOT bashing!) smile.gif

Chris N5CWM
04-06-2003, 20:29
-ON TOPIC-

AlliMax, what's the latest info? Is the dealership going to work with you? Did they pinpoint the problem and start a work order...?