PDA

View Full Version : RS9000X w/ in cab control

Diesel Freak
04-02-2003, 00:18
Anybody have a full set of RS9000X's with in cab control? How's it work? Any problem with leaking? Can you adjust them going down the highway?

Thanks!

FirstDiesel
04-02-2003, 05:33
I have no experience with it but the pictures I've seen make it look like it's remote cables. No leaks but I bet you it's a bitch to route and not have it bind up.

mdrag
04-02-2003, 11:16
DieselFreak,

I had the Rancho 9000 with the in cab controller installed in my '92 Suburban. I don't believe the contols have changed.

The 'cables' described by FirstDiesel are actually very small air lines - I don't recall the actual diameter, but they are smaller than a plastic drink mixer. These attach to the in cab controller, a distribution manifold, and a small air compressor. I don't recall it being too to difficult to route and install. I was able to change settings on the fly, and about once a month I would have to add a little air to the system to maintain the settings.

These are not air shocks. The air is used to adjust the shocks' settings in place of the manual adjustment knob. It would take about 10-15 seconds to go from the softest to firmest settings. Some have described corrosion problems with the adjustment fittings, but that was never a problem for me in over 5 years of use in OK.

BTW, there was a very noticable difference between 1 and 5. You can only adjust the settings as a front and rear pair - that is both fronts could be set at one setting, and both rears at the same or different level if desired.

Diesel Freak
04-02-2003, 17:59
Mdrag, what do you mean by needing to add a little air to the shocks once a month? I had the RS9000's on my old Dodge (no cab conrol) I was very pleased with them. I agree, there's a big difference in the settings.

Thanks

mdrag
04-02-2003, 20:13
Diesel Freak,

I found this pic of the in cab controller:

www.samsoffroad.com/samsoffroadsto/rancho.htm#RS99700

The link was in the post by Bobcat698:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=004816

From this picture, it does not appear that the in cab contoller has changed in design. I can't read the markings on the gauges, but they likely now show 1 to 9 versus the 1 to 5 on my older 9000 shocks/controller

The manual adjustment knob pushes in on a piston assembly to adjust the valving on the shocks. When you use the in cab controls, you remove the manual knob and install an air fitting in it's place. Air pressure is then used to exert and maintain the setting. If you want a firmer setting on the shocks, a red push button switch on the in cab control activates the on board compressor to increase the pressure on the shock adjustment.

The compressor increases pressure to ALL 4 SHOCKS at the same time via two air line circuits, one for the front pair and one for the rear pair of shocks. The fronts will reach a higher setting before the rears due to the shorter tubing needed to reach the front shocks. It takes a few more seconds of 'on' compressor to get the rears up to the max setting.

The in cab controls provided two gauges - mine were marked 1 to 5 for lowest to highest setting (no PSI markings). I believe the newer units have 9 levels. Below each of the gauges was a small black button to activate a Schrader type valve - when you press this button, air is released to decrease the setting to the desired level for the front pair or rear pair of shocks.

As with any pressurized system, a very small amount of air will leak out over time via the connectors or the tubing, causing the pressure on the level selector to decrease - and essentially lowering the setting on the shocks.

Once you figure out the combination of front/rear settings that you like, I found that I didn't change very often - unless I had a full load of passengers or intended to tow.

It's actually a simple setup despite my explanation :eek:

Diesel Freak
04-02-2003, 20:50
Mdrag, would I be able to use air from on board airtank I use for my airbags? Or do I need the compressor that comes with the kit? I really appreciate your info!

mdrag
04-02-2003, 22:30
Diesel Freak,

I do not know the air pressures used by the Rancho system or your air bag system. It would likely require a regulator, valving, and a way of switching this from the cab - depending on what you already have in your system.

If you look at the picture of the in cab controller at the link above, the air compressor in this system is a very small unit - it is the black rectangular box below the gauges - and not much larger than the gauge panel. You don't use much air in this setup, but I'm sure the pressures are higher.

Diesel Freak
04-03-2003, 00:14
Ya I see what you're saying now. Well I think I'm going to buy the setup, I really appreciate the info!!