PDA

View Full Version : Weakest component for towing?

felpa41
04-02-2003, 19:41
These trucks are rated to tow about 15,000 pounds, give or take a few hunderd pounds for the various body styles.

My question is what component is keeping the towing capacity from being rated even highter? I almost know it's not the engine, so what is it?

Is it the breaking capacity?

Is it the axle capacity?

Is it the transmission?

What?

If this could be determined and beefed up, one would think the towing capacity could be increased to the point that a different component would take it's place as the weakest link in the towing capacity, no?

Any insight from someone on the DMax design team (or otherwise)?

BigRedDMaxx
04-02-2003, 21:23
If your towing with the factory hitch, I would expect it to be one of the first things to give.

David Utz
04-03-2003, 07:21
With the 2500HD its got to be the brakes. If you add the front axle and rear axle weight ratings together, you get a number much higher than GVWR. (front 4800 + rear 6084 = total 10884 lbs. GVWR = 9200 lbs.) That's a loss of 1684 lbs. The truck can support 3200 lbs of payload but is restricted by GVWR to 1800 lbs. The problem isn't in the drive train (22000 GCWR). It must be the brakes.

felpa41
04-03-2003, 09:29
Has anyone beefed up their brakes?

Are any after market components available to add some muscle to the braking system?

I know exhaust brakes are available for down hill braking but what about just plain braking? Beefier rotors and pads perhaps?

I would think that hydrolic disc brakes installed on the trailer would be a big plus, no?

[ 04-03-2003: Message edited by: felpa41 ]

[ 04-03-2003: Message edited by: felpa41 ]</p>

mtomac
04-03-2003, 12:34
stock tires you are the weakest link.... goodbye

[ 04-03-2003: Message edited by: Micheal Tomac ]</p>

fordpuckettjpuckett@tampa
04-03-2003, 14:47
Try the Banks computer controlled Exhhaust Brake.It works great over the entire speed range.

Big Boys Toys
Subject: My Dura-MaxDiesel -- 2000 Harley -Davidson Fat Boy (Perlescent White & Chrome)
Member # 5293 Member since October 2000
VIN# 1GTHK29182E242061

Summit White 2002 SIERRA 2500 HD 4WD Extended Cab SLT
Duramax Alison Long Bed
G80 Locking Rear Differential
Dual Alternators
Heavy Duty Trailering Equipt
Electronic Shift Transfer Case
Electric Rear Window Defogger
Polished Aluminum Wheels
Off Road Skid Plate
Ext Electric Heated Mirrors
Wiring Provisions For Camper
A.R.E. CH Cab High Cap With Glass Windoors
Line X Spray in under Rails Bed Liner
Full Carpet Bed Rug
DTA Chrome Plated Stainless Running Boards
DTA Front & Rear Mud Flaps
Tail Gate Lock
56 Gallon Transfer Flow Fuel Tank & Fast Fill Neck
Futomo Drain Valve
Invinca-Shield
Jordan Ultima Brake Controller
Xm radio
Vent Shades
Under Seat Storage Box
Ziebarted
Color Matched Front Catch All Mats
Garman Street Pilot
Amsoil Two Stage Air Filter
Amsoil Lubricants All the way
Banks Stinger kit with pillow mounted Banks Guages
Banks, giant Monster Air Out,
Banks Computer Controlled Exhaust Brake
Overdrive Lock Out Switch part#15734687
Kennedy Duramax Mega Fuel Filter Ordered Today

motovet
04-04-2003, 00:28
I'm with big red, the factory hitch is doo doo, though I am sure it has nothing to do with the rating. I have ruined two of these hitches on our last two rigs.

DmaxMaverick
04-04-2003, 02:50
To answer your question directly, it is not a component that limits ratings.

The ratings limit the components.

The USDOT sets the limits and ranges. The max, of course is what you find in over-the-road trucks (tractor/trailers). The vehicle manufactures (collectively) build and rate vehicles to fill all the gaps between the min. and max. It comes down to dollars and degrees of regulation. Passenger vehicles and light trucks are regulated very lightly. Commercial rated (not meaning registered) vehicles are regulated more heavily. The more regulation required, the higher the cost to register and meet the regulations.

Compare the 2500HD to the 3500, for example. The suspension and drivetrain components of both are identical, with the only difference being the front hubs, number of rear wheels and rear springs. In most states, there is a significant difference in the weight fees between them.

Bottom line: The weight rating of a vehicle is not determined by the ability of the vehicle. The vehicles are designed and built within the ratings set by the DOT. This applies to the manufacture's published ratings.

You could modify a 2500HD to handle the weights that a 3500 is capable of very easily, although I would not recommend it. Many on this board already have. Depending on the state in which you register it, you can rate the vehicle higher than the manufacture's recommendation. I believe Brokers does this with his 3500's.

As far as the brakes go, they are better than they ever have. May not be the best they can be, but a huge improvement over past models, and better than anything the competition has to offer.

JimWilson
04-04-2003, 14:20
Well, if it's brakes you can always upgrade to a set of Brembo's. I think I've seen them fairly cheap; around 5 grand or so. :D

a64pilot
04-04-2003, 15:09
With some of the things I've seen in LA (lower alabama) I think the weakest componet may be the loose nut behind the steering wheel. ;)

Vette Racer
04-05-2003, 21:43
FYI

And with a "JUICED" Duramax, the nut gets looser!! ;) tongue.gif :D