PDA

View Full Version : Allison staying too long in 2nd when accelerating quickly

billhv
08-09-2002, 20:47
...been a while since l posted..too busy DRIVIN'!!
but l really hope l receive some feedback from this forum l respect so much.
l have 55,000km [33,000 mile] 0n my 3500 dually & l tow a 30ft. gooseneck hauling livestock. Always said l got one made on a Wednesday,lol, its
been flawless. l really do love this truck! Needless to say l know my truck, & ONLY under
rapid acceleration, in the last few days if l give
er' the gas, its always "sticking" noticably at
least 2/3 seconds to long in 2nd gear[enough that
l'm taking my foot of the gas]. lf l drive "normal" or slowly, she goes through the gears perfect. l've never had my truck in the dealer's once, but the warranty is over at 60,000 km so l called today, truck will be looked at on Tues. l want to be at least a little knowledgable when l go...please advise on what l might say/ask???

mackin
08-09-2002, 20:59
billhv ,

Why don't you try the fast learn first? Could very well be that it has become use to a driving style, towing or empty and needs a little, shall I say memory adjustment.......Find your self a quiet road and accelerate up to 50 mph and drop it into first and coast to the last down shift into 1st, NO braking to slow allow the tranny to do the work.......Due this 2 3 consecutive times and then drive it normally ........ Some drive it like you stole it for aggressive shifts the choice is yours......Now I know this sounds ridiculous and risk "a, but it works believe me......

MAC :D

billhv
08-09-2002, 21:08
thanks mackin, l'll be trying that tomorrow. l did
do that exact same thing though, but only once &
that was about a month ago, when l first read about it on this forum. You think it needs to be done a couple time within a few minutes then to
see if that corrects my problem?

mackin
08-09-2002, 21:12
billhv ,

That seems to be the consensus to do it a minimum of two consecutive drops....I've done it three times when I got some goofy shifting with a new version JUICE box....Good luck.....

MAC

[ 08-09-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

hoot
08-10-2002, 07:36
I remember my truck doing that not all that long ago once or twice but it only did it for a real short period of time, like a day or so.

mackin
08-10-2002, 08:01
HOOT,

Did you ever go in for all the current factory upgrade Reflashes?

MAC

77TransAm
08-10-2002, 12:35
hillhv, how old is your fuel filter? Some complaints about the Allison not upshifting have been found to be caused by a plugged fuel filter restricting fuel just enough that the engine can't rev right up to the shift point quickly. When it takes the engine an extra second to get to the shift point, all the driver notices is that it took the transmission an extra second to upshift.

hoot
08-10-2002, 12:53
No MACKIN,

Not yet. I haven't had any problems at all lately.

I just got my truck back from the body shop. Had both drivers door skins replaced. No trucky for three weeks was a killer.

Got 33,000 on it so I need to get it in soon for the updates. I also get airbag light once in a while. Belt tensioner idler bearing looks real loose too.

billhv
08-13-2002, 21:33
77 Trans AM,

As the saying goes " you hit the nail on the head" on your assesment here my friend! Let me first say its GREAT to have my baby back to normal
...running like she friggin' competing in NASCAR!
Went to the dealer, mentioned my concerns, he plugged in his computer, hopped in the passenger side,& asked me to drive normal[ think he may have regretted that shortly, hehehe ]. All things
said thanks to Jay, & A NEW FUEL FILTER, ..PERFECT!~!
P.S. shortly after l leave, Jay pulls up beside
me on the highway, windows down, thumbs up, lets go! l'm already doin' 130km...he's in a new Grande Pre...well he couldn't do squatt till after 160km ! Next stop sign comes up .."guess the trucks runnin' alright eh,". We both smile, &
drive away. God, l love happy endings!!
P.S.S. , btw, the "fast learn" Mackin suggested
l do recomend, did notice a slightly quicker shift
pattern afterwards.
Have a great day everyone, l am!

billhv
08-13-2002, 21:37
...& oh ya, on the fuel filter...l had 55,000km
on...they recomend changing ever 25-30,000km. Oops.