PDA

View Full Version : Clunk? noise when stopping the first time in cold weather

A||||1||Robert W. Jones||Diesel Timing Light?||||5||||Stray Cat||00012887
12-10-2003, 22:31
I have a 2001 Chevy 3500 with the Duramax and Allison. I have noticed that when it is cold outside and I stop the truck for the first time, just before it stops completely, I notice a small jerk or clunk coming from the back of the truck. After stopping another time or two this goes away. Almost like if the wheels lock. It does not happen when it is warm outside, and it is only starting to do it now. The truck did have this problem last year but the dealer wanted to keep it overnight and the weather warmed up before I had a chance. Any ideas on what it could be? I really don

HD-Nate
12-11-2003, 11:22
Could it be ice on the brakes??

Just a guess cause it happened to me a few times on my old Z71. Also learned not to apply the parking brake in sub freezing weather, the hard way :rolleyes:

A||||1||Robert W. Jones||Diesel Timing Light?||||5||||Stray Cat||00012887
12-11-2003, 20:38
Thanks for the reply.

The truck made the noise today and very little snow came down. I am trying to think how to describe this noise. It is like something tightens up when you are stopping the first time when it is cold outside. (Happens just before you come to a complete stop.)

Flyboy
12-12-2003, 16:36
Could it be the slip joint on the drive shaft? It could be sticking due to the cold grease.