PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone run a belt driven or Allison PTO??????

thechevyhdman
04-03-2003, 16:09
Im talking to my upfitter today on swapping our roll off lift from a 98 6.5 onto an 03 Duramax. Im really wanting a belt driven PTO off the engine accesory belt rather than the Allison PTO. I have to be able to move the truck in gear and have the PTO running at the same time(not possible with the Ally). But looking under the hood of my truck looks like theirs no room at all to mount a pump driven off the crank pulley.Except where the dual alternator goes, does anyone run either setup that can give me some info........I doubt anyone here runs one but Im trying to find out. Thanks Bill

oyazi
04-05-2003, 10:46
Mine has a vacumn pump required for the CA smog system. I'm thinking yours should have that space avail for reallocation to the pump you need to have. Take a look at the serpentine diagram on your fan shroud ~ should show a layout where a pump is to go.

thechevyhdman
04-05-2003, 13:42
I found out the other day. Muncie makes a complete bracket/pump assembly. Unfortunately I guess the Dmax has a stamped on Harmonic balancer, and Gm limits the GPM of the hydraulic system down to 3 GPM. Which is good and bad news I guess. Good news being Ill be putting in and order for a loaded cab and chassis this coming week. Its a shame to just trash a brand new truck but hey....if it dont make ya money or swallow, get rid of it. Cant wait Bill.

77TransAm
04-07-2003, 07:28
As far as I know there is no problem using the PTO while moving in gear with the Allison. Some applications require it (spreaders come to mind...) Our '01's would raise the bed using the trans mounted PTO while they were driving along.

thechevyhdman
04-08-2003, 01:55
77T/A do you know of a source I can contact to find out for sure? Everytime I call GM on technical question they say that I need to talk to my dealer so they can contact the proper people. Basically I dont want a middle man when dealing with expensive stuff like this. Ill try my dealer tommorrow........you know the run around stuff ya get...call Allison up nope call up GM. Call GM...nope call your dealer...call dealer....nope call Allison....I had to call 8 different numbers when I called up GM for an answer on why I cant plow with a 84" cab axle length with the Dmax.....GM should be more straight forward with info. Thanks for your response..Bill

77TransAm
04-08-2003, 10:30
Do you have a GM Commercial truck dealer or a body builder or anything similar in your area? I don't know of any source you can call, but if you can find one of those places that has a pickup truck with a dump bed on it you could probably test drive it to make sure.

thechevyhdman
04-08-2003, 12:04
Hey 77 T-A Shoot me an email when you get the chance please. Thanks Bill
Gmanjr96@aol.com

Black Dog
04-09-2003, 05:48
Bill, if you don't have it yet, the operator's manual for the Allison 1000 has an excellent description and operating instructions for the converter driven PTO set-up on the transmission. You can download it here:

http://www.allisontransmission.com/publications/pubs/OM3063EN***p

From that write-up, it seems like you should have no problem doing what you want to.

On edit, that needs to be "dot"***p on the end of the address. The board wont let it post.

[ 04-09-2003: Message edited by: Black Dog ]

[ 04-09-2003: Message edited by: Black Dog ]</p>