PDA

View Full Version : air noise

socaltoolguy
08-09-2002, 22:51
I posted this question over on the Duramax forum but after finding this forum I thought it might be a good place to ask again. I put an air/bug deflector purchased from Chevrolet on the hood of my 3500HD. At 60 mph or more I am getting a noise that sounds like sand hitting the front center of my roof about where the running lights are. Anybody on this forum had the same thing? Is it the deflector making this noise and if so what is the fix?
Ray

csimo
08-10-2002, 08:55
This is a VERY common problem after adding a bug deflector. Your dealer has the authority to add some adhesive to the windshield moulding to stop the problem.

There are two causes for this noise. First is the windshield moulding as above. It's usually on the sides that make the noise.

Others have reported that the little plastic pieces covering the hood hinges make the same noise. Mine are loose and probably make some noise. Some say they glue them down, but I don't see how that's possible. They must be able to move when you open the hood. Maybe I'm just looking at it wrong... who knows.

socaltoolguy
08-10-2002, 19:10
hey csimo, thanks for the answer. I had heard that it had something to do with the installation of the air deflector but the service advisor didn't offer any fix for it other than to remove the deflector. He didn't offer any refund of the 80 bucks that it cost though. Thanks again and I will try to fix it myself.
Ray

TimofCharlotte
08-11-2002, 12:04
Ray, for what it's worth, I had this same problem crop up on my first trip with the truck, without any bug deflector at all. This is a hit and miss problem. Since then, I've taken many long trips and haven't had the problem recrop up...go figure.
Prior long posts on this recommended using a narrow strip of two-sided adhesive tape under the side mouldings of the windsheild. You will see that they lift up easily (part of problem) and by using narrow strip of tape, you will avoid possible problems with adhesives that may be too sticky/messy in event of having windsheild replaced. You don't need much to keep these mouldings down, otherwise the problem wouldn't be so intermittent.
I guess what I'm saying is start with minimal adhesive amounts before going nuts.

Good luck.

DMAX4LIFE
08-12-2002, 18:05
All you have to do is fold the side windshiled moldings back and put some clear glue under them. Then put some tape over them for at least 24 hours and it should fix your problem. You might also have to glues the molding across the top down as well. Hope this helps. O yeah.. if you get your dealer to do it, they should warranty the work, that way they get paid for it too.

But TIMofC has a point with the mess, but if you don't do the replacement of the windshield yourself, you should be ok :D

NutNbutGMC
08-12-2002, 18:27
^...I too had that problem. It is, indeed, as stated, wind noise from the side mould. My resolution was to remove the Lund "Interceptor" and install the Lund "Avenger" (low profile). I like it better and it does everything it is supposed to, except shield bugs. Also installed the invinca-shield to enhance the Lund bug shielding (or lack of).

www.lundinternational.com

www.invinca-shield.com