PDA

View Full Version : Drivers Mirror not Defrosting

atvpilot
04-04-2003, 04:03
Hey Guys,
We are having one hell of an ice storm right now. I went outside to go to work last night and hit the defrost button and the rear window heated and melted the ice and so did the pass outside mirror but the driverside one didn't melt the ice off,any clues as to what the problem is. It's an 02GMC 2500HD D/A Crew and it is still under warranty. They are the stock mirrors so far. :confused:

Maverick
04-04-2003, 11:44
Pull the triangle piece off the inside of the door behind the mirror. Check the plug. After that looks like a dealer warranty job. The element could be shot or a loose wire inside the mirror. I had a Lucerix mirror do this and finally they just replaced the whole mirror.

sspm1
04-07-2003, 05:30
I would also check your fuses....I just in their and noticed fuses for the heated mirros. Just my 02

oyazi
04-07-2003, 12:57
Hmm, let me see ~ Mirrors fall under the 36mo/36000 basic warranty. My warranty may be up before an opportunity to use this feature occurs. Is there someway to determine if its working w/o being frosted/iced or even cold?

Maverick
04-07-2003, 14:17
You don't say where you live but you could wait till you have dew in the morning and try them, use an infared gun on them, put your cheek on them, wait till you drive through 2 dramatic temp differences and wait till they fog up, or drive to Alaska and try them.

thechevyhdman
04-07-2003, 17:19
So far I have had 2 trucks both blow the drivers side heated mirror. Warranty said something like an open "element"???.....If you've owned these trucks for a while you notice certains things plauge all of them....for me Im on my 3rd Mirror Adjustment switch. 99-2001-2002 all have/had the same little quirks.... Of course nothing has been nearly as bad as my 1999 2500 (non HD) six litre.....that truck was a POS from day one....The 2001 gasser has done 10 times more work then my Dmax and still runs/drives perfect.

oyazi
04-07-2003, 21:37
Like the suggestion to drive to alaska to chk out the mirror heaters :D :D Somehow, I got the impression that they were thermostatically controlled ~ and no, I wouldn't think of parking my baby outside of the garage on these dark nites ;) CA isn't that cold any time of the year. The mirror do have an icon on them that I would expect to do something but so far haven't seen them do nothing ~ hence the concern that they could be disfunctional and I would even know it.

On edit: Chkd for temperature and were warm to the touch (now why didn't I think of that?)

[ 04-07-2003: Message edited by: oyazi ]</p>

atvpilot
04-12-2003, 22:00
I did notice that one night on my way to work they were fogged over and I hit the defrost button and they both worked. Recently we had a bad ice storm and the drivers side didn't melt the ice at all. So we will see what the dealer finds out. thanks for the input guys. :D

JEBar
04-13-2003, 06:49
On our '02 3500, the driver's side mirror heater failed first, a couple of months later followed by the passenger's side. Both replaced under warranty & both still working. Only complaint, truck came with regular glass in passanger mirror, replacement has "Objects closer than they appear" typy glass .... much rather have the first ... Jim

[ 04-13-2003: Message edited by: JEBar ]</p>