PDA

View Full Version : MP3 with Stock Head Unit?

DMAX_Phil
08-10-2002, 15:23
I have an '01 CC with the center console and no tape deck. It has the CD, speed compensating volume control unit. Has anyone figured a way to hook an MP3 player through this stock unit (cd changer line or tape deck line)? I've searched here and haven't seen a clear answer on if possible or what is required. Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil

stretch
08-15-2002, 03:51
DMAX_Phil,
Try these 2 sites. I would think one of them should be able to help you.

http://www.pie.net/

http://www.jpcustoms.com/

HawgGuy
08-15-2002, 12:53
I'd like to do the same thing but also have been unable to figure out how to do it. I have searched this site & the internet in general.

The 2 links given above by stretch are nice, but I can't figure out what part I need to allow me to tap in to the AUX for an MP3 player. www.pie.net sells protocol inverters, OEM interface cables for CD changers and headunit replacement modules. Which one applies to my application?

-bob

stretch
08-15-2002, 13:13
I just figured you could get in touch with those guys and perhaps they can set you up with the right parts. Most places have more items than they advertise on their sites. I would think you can interface the MP3 player through the auxillary input on the radio. PIE should have the connectors that you can use to plug into the radio and setup a dash mounted jack so you can plug in the MP3 player.

bora
08-15-2002, 14:23
Here is how you do it:

1) www.crutchfield.com, get an aftermarket FM modulator with RCA inputs.

2) Get wire to connect the MP3 player outputs to the RCA inputs

3) Tune the radio to the FM freq of the modulator.

4) Enjoy the tunes after pressing play on the MP3 player.

Crutchfield will also send you instructions on how to connect the FM modulator.

DMAX_Phil
08-16-2002, 20:45
Thanks for the information.

Question about the modulator: Isn't the modulator turning the MP3 back to RF (from digital)? Is so, the sound will be further degraded - If not, I guess I don't understand what the modulator's purpose is. I think these things go for a couple hundred dollars. I was hoping to find a plug & play solution without spending this much.

I may just buy a new MP3 capable head unit. I just bought a Sony CDX-MP70 CD/MP3 player for my Harley touring bike (FLHT), I like this unit. Maybe this is the simplest and least expensive route for the long term picture (e.g., future CD changers, other aux. devices).

Thanks again.

Phil

SoCalDMAX
08-19-2002, 13:20
DMAX_Phil,

I didn't post earlier 'cuz I thought you were really stuck on keeping the stock head unit.

If you want to replace the head unit, I'd recommend the Aiwa CD/MP3 unit. It plays everything I throw at it, multiple bit rates, never skips, some neat esoteric features, etc. It has Aux input on the front of the unit and 4 RCA outs on rear. Sounds great and probably avail under $170. See pics below for one installed in my truck.

Regards, Steve

sloth501
08-21-2002, 12:45
Dmax_Phil:

Another option could be the Irock 300W wireless music adaptor. I have been using it for my MP3 player for about 6 weeks because the cassette deck heads are worn in my car and my wife’s car only has a CD player. I just didn’t want to go to the effort to put a RF modulator in my car because it’s old and hopefully I will be ordering a D-Max towards the end of this year or early next year.

It uses 3 AAA batteries and broadcasts a signal on 88.1, 88.3, 88.5, or 88.7 MHz. The manufacturer claims the batteries are good for up to 20 hours but I don’t think I am getting that much life, but I use mine in short spans (30 minutes or less typically).

I will admit that I was VERY skeptical about this product at first, I had tried a few of these wireless adaptors in the past and they were horrible but I was pleasantly surprised the first time I used this unit. You will probably have to play with the frequencies and positioning of the unit to get the best signal. What I found is the better quality of the radio, the better the reception and sound quality.

The sound quality is probably not up to “audiophile” standards but is comparable to broadcast quality in my opinion. As they say, your results may vary though.

But hey, it’s only $30 and I found it at Crappy (Radio) Shack to boot so I could return it if I was not satisfied. If you want more user opinions check out computershopper.com or epinions.com. The manufacturer’s website is myirock.com.

I hope this information helps….

Gary

DMAX_Phil
08-21-2002, 23:23
Thanks. Like many things, this started out fairly innocently in-that I wasn't going to spend much money. However, now that I've spent some time researching this issue (sound upgrade in general) I'm going for a full-blown, new system. An MP3/CD Receiver, speakers, cross-overs, amp, CD Changer are in my very near future. I just got to have it.

This kind of reminds me when I started shopping for a new 1/2-ton truck...

Phil