PDA

View Full Version : Roof on Extended Cab Buffeting from Wind

Phantom
12-13-2003, 14:49
When at highway speeds on a windy day my roof pops up and down. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix???

Runaway
12-14-2003, 09:19
None here, been in winds as high as 60 mph gusts (per radio reports) and have never had roof buffet or vibrate. No even in the wind tunnels at car washes.

SoMnDMAX
12-14-2003, 13:29
I've had it happen. It'll even rattle when the doors are being shut if the truck is sitting right.

Phantom, do you have a bug deflector installed? Runaway, how about you?

Been thinking about putting some DynaMat up there to stop the noise, but haven't had the time or ambition to do it. The thought of removing all of the trim to get the headliner out is a bit disconcerting. I can live with the noise for a while, but eventually it's going to need some attention before it drives me nuts.. :( One would need to stick the Dynamat on the underside of the roof.

www.dynamat.com (http://www.dynamat.com)

Buck
12-14-2003, 19:57
Dido SoMnDmax

I have an EGR hood shield.

SoMnDMAX
12-14-2003, 21:04
The reason I mentioned the bug deflector is the aero problems they can create. It's possible those without the deflector aren't having issues, but those with are. I have a Lund shield installed on my truck.

On a side note, my '01 was quiet. No rattles, no tin canning of the roof, nothing. This '03 is a totally different story :( ...

This problem most likely does not apply to the CC trucks, since they have four or five ribs across the roof IIRC. That would GREATLY strengthen the roof.

Buck
12-14-2003, 22:40
I notice the "tin canning" from time to time when a door gets slammed. Notice it more when parked on unlevel ground, like just off the shoulder of the road.
A car wash in town has a HIGH speed dryer, when I go through there it sounds like someone shaking a piece of sheet metal :eek: I first thought that the paint would crack and chip away. I check every time and no harm so far...

I know what yer thinkin'

but it's a really nice car wash, laser eye, always keeps the sprayer 18" away from the truck, under body sprayer... Even a cc dually will fit with no problems! The owner is really :cool: Gives me free coupons every second time
smile.gif

Kennedy
12-15-2003, 08:03
I noticed the plunk when shutting the door on SoMN's truck at the MN dyno event. Glad the CC trucks are ribbed for pleasure. :D

You know, a guy get's spoiled with the 4 doors. Last EC truck I was in, I tried to shut the door before the rear door was closed...

Dave_WB3FYV
12-15-2003, 09:18
My roof flutters at high speeds, usually around 90, slower if going into a strong headwind.
No bug deflector here.
I noticed how flimsy the sheetmetal was the first time I washed the roof, couldn't lean on it to reach all the way to the front when standing on the front lip of the bed.
My neighbor's '03 extended cab has the ribbed roof like the crew cabs.
I don't know if dynamat will solve the problem since it's a very low frequency flutter. Really need something up there to stiffen the metal, like laminating another piece of steel or plastic to the inside with RTV.
The fix to an old Supercab I had was to install the roof rack off an old station wagon, maybe just those steel strips would help?

I'd be interested in another solution, hate driving slow across I-40 between Memphis and Little Rock!

Runaway
12-15-2003, 17:49
No bug deflector, no marker lights, no xm tenny, only the OnStar. :D

Paintdude
12-16-2003, 05:06
It could not be glued well to the exsisting roof beams. No matter what a person does the headliner needs to be dropped. Dropping the headliner isnt really that bad of a job on a ext cab 4 door.

Johnny Diesel
12-16-2003, 07:24
My ex cab roof doesn't rattle/flex on the highway but its a **** poor support job by GM thats for sure. So I could see why its happening to some. If I try to put a coat of wax on it(rarely)when I push on the center it flexes right in. I am going in for my first complaint this week(I cancelled last week,rain) so the service tech can try and adjust or replace the rear door window or adjust the door so I get a little less wind noise on the road. I don't expect it to get fixed so if it does I will be surprised. Just the nature of the design to some extent. But the roof being flimsy adds to the flexing of the cab and theres no excuse for that except-cheating us the customers.

Dave_WB3FYV
12-17-2003, 04:09
Just to clarify... my neighbors 03 Extended cab does NOT have the ribbed roof. He had his truck in for service overnight and they loaned him a crew cab, same color. My bad eyes and early darkness, and probably a little wishful thinking!

wangotango
12-17-2003, 17:31
my '01 (excab) has the wind deal on roof but only with camper onboard

have hood nose deflector

good luck

w/t

Phantom
12-19-2003, 07:49
Sorry it took so long to answer, yes I have a bug deflector. I plan to take in to the dealer for the first time after the new year. I have a small list of items (most I've gotten from this forum for them to check. I think it should be ribbed like was mentioned above. Thanks for the info guys, I will print out responses to take with me, maybe they will come up with a solution.

Johnny Diesel
12-19-2003, 08:14
The "solution" to this isn't likely to come from a dealer as its not a safety concern. A dealer can't justify the time dropping the headliner and rigging up some kind of reinforcement. This is going to have be a backyarder. From what I understand the headliner isn't too bad to take down either.Good luck

Johnny Diesel
12-22-2003, 08:11
Just curious how you made out with the roof deal? :confused: