PDA

View Full Version : GM Sucks!

brian5003
06-27-2005, 10:38
Decided to pack it in today...Giving my 1995 Suburban to someone for $500. I will never buy another GM!

This engine is a piece of dung. Pulled the engine and the mains are cracked all the way up to the cam bearings. From the main bearings to the injection system, to the cooling system, to the exhaust system this engine sucks. I repeat I will never buy another GM product!

MTTwister
06-27-2005, 10:55
Don't sugar-coat it, Brian. smile.gif

bromak
06-27-2005, 11:00
Does this mean the sub is up for sale to the members of TDP or do you have a victim in mind?

markrinker
06-27-2005, 11:10
Writing off GM entirely is likened to boycotting Ford for their Aerostar or Dodge for their Dakota.

Good luck. Be careful what you buy next...Caveat Emptor!!! smile.gif

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=93&did=834

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/mercedes/1075/

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/773102/posts

(Personally, my 'dream lemon' is an AMC Pacer with a 6.5 turbo diesel backed up with an early 90's Aerostar transmission...now THAT would truly be a turd on wheels!)

We didn't even make the top 10 list

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0408phr_worst/

[ 06-27-2005, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

rjschoolcraft
06-27-2005, 11:44
That's cool. I'll never buy a piece of junk Honda, either.

JohnC
06-27-2005, 12:47
Brian, I couldn't agree more (and so does DC and Ford). In fact, they suck so bad, I'm gonna offer you $350 for the 'burb.

;)

markelectric
06-27-2005, 13:36
I spose I would give the 500 If it is not too far away. How far to southern Ind?

rjschoolcraft
06-27-2005, 14:18
Where are you located? I might be interested in the burb as well.

Chuck1
06-27-2005, 20:37
Brian I was just on the ford page .Theres a lot of disgruntled ford owners there .I hear the new Toyota,s are very reliable.You don,t have an intercooler on that peice of dung by any chance.I would be intersted .$500 you say

TJ
06-28-2005, 04:09
Maybe a Suzuki or Kia next time? High quality rides that are safe for any man's family to drive around. I just wouldn't recommend getting into a collision with me and my piece of dung.

Cowracer
06-28-2005, 04:27
Originally posted by brian5003:
Decided to pack it in today...Giving my 1995 Suburban to someone for $500. I will never buy another GM!

This engine is a piece of dung. Pulled the engine and the mains are cracked all the way up to the cam bearings. From the main bearings to the injection system, to the cooling system, to the exhaust system this engine sucks. I repeat I will never buy another GM product! Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

Tim

brian5003
06-28-2005, 07:14
Mark thank you very much....I needed a good chuckle out of this truck. It was just a very expensive chuckle.

More Power
06-28-2005, 07:53
Got a ride in the 6.5TD Project truck over the weekend. The odo was just a couple dozen miles away from turning 300K. This means the engine now has 165,000 miles on it. Still sounds real healthy...

MP

mklein
06-28-2005, 15:06
Brian, if you are serious about the truck, how about some more information. Indiana is not too far from Michigan, and I am really interested.

CareyWeber
06-28-2005, 18:16
Originally posted by brian5003:

This engine is a piece of dung. Pulled the engine and the mains are cracked all the way up to the cam bearings. From the main bearings to the injection system, to the cooling system, to the exhaust system this engine sucks. I repeat I will never buy another GM product! Brian,

Ok where are you at????

My 97 now has 195K miles on it now and the engine is still going strong and has not been opened up other than one injection pump replacement.

Carey

Chuck1
06-28-2005, 20:57
More power The project truck used a 599 block .did he us splayed mains?

More Power
06-28-2005, 21:12
No splayed mains. Rotating assembly was balanced. We installed Peninsular's 18:1 pistons, Fel-Pro 9701-PT head gaskets, GM rings, & DSG gear drive.

MP

autocrosser
06-29-2005, 12:48
What happens to all the new AM General engines that get pulled from Hummers for various problems. My son in law who got out of the army last year said that the get shipped somewhere when they come out.

When and if 96 ever goes I would like to get a rebuild with one and 18:1 compression. Buying a new one and yanking it apart to put in new pistons doesn't sound like good sense. Are the 18:1 pistons found on the market from Mahle etc. just cut down. If so it wouldn't be too bad to do that and get it rebalanced.

Tractor
06-29-2005, 18:53
In the newly released JD. Power quality survey GM had the top outfit in 8 of 19 catagories. Ford was tops in five, that just leaves 6 for the rest of the world. Way to go AMERICA!!!!!!!!
TRACTOR

MartyB
06-29-2005, 19:48
Got my rig appraised tonight, hoping by the weekend to have a DA combo. Dealer was suprised my 6.5 was as strong as it was! They wanted to give me more, but at 10 yrs, 200K miles, what can they say, about $2000.

Any way, I like cowracers answer, "don't let the door hit you on the way out!"

HANK1948
07-01-2005, 05:18
I sure wouldnt buy anything else, my 96 CC Dually has 160K on it, no major problems and I currently have 3 6.2's one with 270k another with 255k and the last with 220k all are original, and the one Burban with 270 I just rebuilt the original trans! try that Ford or Dodge!I dont think so! :D

DA BIG ONE
07-02-2005, 02:28
My GMC does SUCK, "lots of air under boost", that being said, I can honestly say, most of my problems w/my burb have been due to morons, and idiots who claim to be repair techs.

Scam artists operate unchecked herein Palm Beach, I learned this the hard way after many $1,000.s of dollars. I do most of my work now, and enjoy not having to go back to some scum___ whos main interest is to screw me out of more $$$$$.

This is not to infer all are bad, but I have yet to find an honest one in "PALM BEACH".

CleviteKid
07-02-2005, 05:50
At least in Palm Beach County over 1/2 the thieves speak English. Come down to Miami if you want to deal with 3rd World bazzar (and bizzare) conditions in the wonderful world of vehicle service.

Dr. Lee :cool:

markrinker
07-02-2005, 05:57
Mexifornia. Cubida. It would help if it were better understood that we all speak one language. If more employers would make it requisite for employment, the problem would go away. The temptation for profit from cheap labor is too high.

Personally, I'd never attempt any vehicle repair with anyone that didn't speak English and couldn't articulate their method for problem solving what ails my truck. This is not prejudice - its just good business.

I always ask the service manager if I can discuss the problem with the tech. If they cannot articulate - from experience - what they intend to test, swap out, or try next, I will respectfully take my vehicle elsewhere.

A language barrier would never cut muster.

More Power
07-02-2005, 10:04
Delco-Remy is the North American distributor for all AM General reman'ed 6.5 engines (JK is a dealer for D-R). I suspect the military returns find their way to D-R.

MP

kojo
07-02-2005, 10:42
Originally posted by MartyB:
Got my rig appraised tonight, hoping by the weekend to have a DA combo. Dealer was suprised my 6.5 was as strong as it was! They wanted to give me more, but at 10 yrs, 200K miles, what can they say, about $2000.

Any way, I like cowracers answer, "don't let the door hit you on the way out!" 2000 for 96 crewcab? is it really ugly or why it's so cheap? if i would have 96 checy truck with 2000 i would by many as possible tongue.gif

84 Convert
07-03-2005, 06:05
Yeah, if I didn't have way too many rigs I'd be more than happy to fork over $2000 for your "old" truck. Hate to see what they'd offer me for my junk! Sell it yourself i think you should be able to get better than $6000 out of it if it is in good shape. (If you're in western WA).

Good luck!

Gregg

6.542762mw
07-04-2005, 10:11
Brian,

After all this did you at least fill in your 2 cents worth at the cracked poll?

Mark

mhagie
07-04-2005, 10:31
Brian,Slap in a used engine then trade it on whatever, don't give it away, no need to let someone take advantage of you.
That is what someone else would do and then brag about how they just absolutely stole the truck.
Good luck,
Merle

C.K. Piquup
08-18-2005, 05:48
Maybe you should cool down before making any moves on selling or replacing.I was very angry at GM,too.These corporations are all the same and it really hurts when you fall victim to a hard lesson on "the way it is".What makes it worse is,unless others have experienced it,they can`t relate.I had done so much to my`95 that I decided to go all-out and buy a new Peninsular motor.Only to total the truck on an oil slick from an accident that occured just prior to my passing around that curve.I wasn`t speeding,the tail slipped a little,I turned into it(not yet even concerned),only to have it whip back the other way like I was on ice,putting me sideways across the road into the oncoming vehicle.I was at fault,got dropped by insurance company,charged,and recieved $12,000(after alot of struggling)for a truck I had put $45,000 into.At least the cop had sympathy.When I went to court the lady didn`t show and was the only witness.Talking on the way out of court he said,"I figured you`ve been through enough".He did something to keep her summons from going out.We had just passed one another when I went out of control.He was there at my window(truck upsidedown)instantly it seemed.He could see I wasn`t speeding and had just turned around and was coming back up the hill from leaving the accident that preceeded me.

Govt issue
08-18-2005, 06:55
If you owned a ford you would be on your 5th trans. E40de or 4r70 the up to 2002 are junk. I have 1 a week in motorhomes or trucks go down. If you had a dodge it would be rearend and trans problems. Every manufacture has there problems you just have to figure out which ones you want to deal with . Or pay for.

tom.mcinerney
08-19-2005, 06:50
>> Every manufacture has their problems

Ditto. But this is now compounded by such pressure on suppliers that even new Mercedes are reputably junk.

It would help if the contracted out parts [FSD and oil lines for instance] were monitored by mfgr for QC.

Meanwhile many thanks to J.B, and folks here.

Some have held that GM should replace blocks for free. I think that is punitive, unless failure occurs within, say 75K Mi. But if they can sell their new vehicles for employee discount rate, why not supply raw blocks, or at least factory short blocks , for cost plus , say $200 , to any owner of a GM vehicle that was originally supplied with a 6.5L??

C.K. Piquup
08-21-2005, 04:17
They(GM)should stand behind their obvious manufacturing flaw.I can`t imagine what that would cost,probably put them out of business.Not my wish,but $6,000) is enough to put most individuals under.I had another vehicle to use while I took a year to get the money for my new motor.It`s one thing to need a rebuild,questionable causes.Poor metalurgy in the block causing catastraphic failure,that`s on GM.
sidenote:I had a poor metalurgy problem in my`90 Harley left case 1/2 at 16,000 miles in 2001(I`m the original owner)They knew about the problem,I didn`t.It was under the percentage of vehicles to warrant a recall.I got stuck on that,too.Bought a complete S&S motor/not Harley.In both my Harley and my Chevy,I had already sunk alot of money into upgrades on these relatively new vehicles.It don`t taste good.

JeepSJ
08-22-2005, 07:30
As for Ford, they are dealing with a problem of spark plugs blowing out of the heads of the Triton engines. The both V8's (4.6/5.4) and the V10 are affected. The head is machined in such a way that there are only 4 threads holding the spark plug, and some plugs were not torqued properly from the factory. Guys are paying $3500-4000 for repairs at the dealership - Ford is denying warranty claims because "spark plugs are not covered under warranty". A class action suit has been filed, but it only covers claims in CA (the judge ruled out all other states for whatever stupid reason).

Any lawyers want to take on GM over the block cracking issue? One of the things that really helped with the Ford suit is that Ford redesigned the heads in '04 so they have more threads around the plug. The lawyers are arguing that Ford made the design change because they knew there was a problem. We could make the same argument about the design changes with the 6.5 block.

CJ_4
11-10-2005, 18:23
Originally posted by ronniejoe:
That's cool. I'll never buy a piece of junk Honda, either. c'mon now, it aint nothin wrong with a honda smile.gif

rjschoolcraft
11-10-2005, 18:30
Nope, and the Pope aint Catholic either!

moondoggie
11-11-2005, 06:42
Good Day!

The Honda comment interested me. The only new vehicle I ever bought was a 1978 Honda Accord. At 6K miles, I switched from Valvoline to Mobil 1 5W-30 (I think) oil. At 24K miles, this car was using a quart of oil every 100 miles. I brought it to the dealer & they rebuilt the engine and only charged me for the oil change

jdmetcalf57
11-11-2005, 09:13
Say what you want about GM. I know they are probably not the best car manufacturer but I just want to get down the road as cheap as possible. For this reason I have never been able to beat GM. They are generally as cheap as any to buy used but more importaintly parts are usually much cheaper becasause there is more aftermarket suppliers.

In the past GM has been very good about using common components. I have several junk vehicles around and I often can go to one of them that is 10 yrs older and a completely different model and can use a part on a vehicle that I am currently driving.
On top of this there are always GM products in the junk yards because the sell so many, so parts are easy to find. Just the other day I bought an ignition switch for my 95 cavalier at a junk yard for $2 which was $70 at the dealer. There were about 6 GM models over 10 years that used the same switch.

If somebody can tell me how to drive cheaper I would jump on it. I typically drive my GM vehicles well into the 200,000s of miles with very little problems.