PDA

View Full Version : Solid Front Axle Conversion Question.

DarylB
08-18-2004, 18:19
Looking to convert my 2002 2500HD to a SFA. I've found a differential out of 2001 F450 in excellent shape. Has the gear ratio I need already. I was wondering if any of you might know what I'll have to change as far as rotors, hubs, etc to get this to work. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

4diesels
08-19-2004, 11:31
Wouldn't it be a whole lot less hassle to just sell the Gm and get a Ford or Dodge that comes from the factory with a solid front axle? It will take a bunch of fabrication and the resale on the truck will be much lower.

DarylB
08-21-2004, 14:57
This doesn't really answer or relate to my question. If I wanted a dodge or ford, I would have bought one, but that isn't the case.

JoeyD
08-24-2004, 15:05
The lug pattern is different to start with. The ABS is probably different as well. I have a quote from Dynatrac for a custom Dana 60 housing loaded up with locker , gears, rotors, calipers and ABS sensors, 35 spline outer shafts. It's 40% stronger than the 60 found in the Fords but it was $5300.
This is the way to go though if thats what you want. Off Road Unlimited sells a bracket kit to bolt it in as well. Good luck if you do it, it will be nice.

Colorado Kid
08-26-2004, 12:20
I'm just wondering where you're planning to attach the springs to the truck? Clearly the torsion bars won't work. Planning to go with leaves or coils?

How do you plan to steer?

I can't think of any reason the rotors or hubs need to be changed . . . if the lug pattern is indeed different a spacer-adapter could fix that.

ABS is probably not going to work . . .but you probably wouldn't be going to SFA if you weren't going to huge tires that would foul up the ABS anyway.

If you have the electrically shifted T-case, how do you plan to deal with the missing front axle disconect actuator?

The front driveline length adjustment is built into your transfer case, but it's made for IFS, where the pumpkin barely moves relative to the T-case . . .the SFA will need a bunch more slip . . .

I'm not trying to be mean when I say this, but I think that if you need to ask if hubs and rotors need to be changed then you're not going to pull this off. If you prove me wrong you've got a whole lot more time and money to spend on your truck than I do.

Good Luck!

gear
08-30-2004, 17:07
I've done theses straight axle swaps. I have some pictures if I can figure how to post them. Its not too bad to do.

gear
08-30-2004, 17:30
Here is a truck I did. Its an 02 44" Boggers, 4.56 gears (could use more), Dana 60 35 spline frontend with a Detroit locker, Front Shaft done by Jesse @ High Angle Driveline (he's the man), Edge hot juice box, Quadzilla box, Amsoil air filter, Exhaust from Kennedydiesel.com, about 19" of suspension lift.....blah blah blah. In these pics I have the trans out. Im building it right now with the Suncoast Convertors Stage 3 kit with Red Eagle clutches, triple disc convertor, Trans Go Shift Kit......
Click here for pics (http://community.webshots.com/album/181845936sCjPKt)

[ 08-31-2004, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: gear ]

jbplock
08-31-2004, 01:43
Gear,

The link to your pics didn't work... It appears to be pointing to your "My Photos" album, not your public Webshots page...
smile.gif

gear
08-31-2004, 02:06
Sorry, Fixed it!

jbplock
08-31-2004, 07:21
gear,

WAY COOL !!! :cool: Nice Work on the lift and solid front axel !! Great pics!! http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif