PDA

View Full Version : Part #'s for Brake replacement

crafty
08-23-2004, 07:09
I have to do a complete brake job on the truck in November in order to pass the safety inspection this year. I wanted to get the GM part numbers for all the necessary parts (Ceramic pads front and rear, E brake parts, rotors front and rear) and I wondered if someone with a manual or Dmaxallitech could help me out. So far I have been quoted prices totalling over $1500 just for the parts alone. How many hours labour should I expect to pay for?
The truck is a 2001 2500HD ex cab 6 speed 4x4

Thanks for any help. :D :D :D

drgracr
08-23-2004, 15:39
labour wise at least at the gm dealer that i use to work at was 1.6h for the front should be the same for the rear and if your lucky the rear rotors will come off without killing the ebrake shoes.
I'm guessing your staying with the oem pads??

$1500 later and you get a little yellow sticker :eek:

Inspector
08-24-2004, 10:36
Say do you guys in Canada have to do a complete brake system replacment to pass an inspection? The rotors can be turned to a specified limit and should last a good long while.
On my 93 I had the rotors turned one time in 110,000 miles and the replaced the pads and shoes a couple of times maybe three IIR.
Seems extreme to me.
Denny :eek:

crafty
08-24-2004, 11:21
Unfotunately, at least in my case, the rotors are rusting and crumbling into the area where the pads run. The mechanic won't safety it this year with out new rotors. He did say the the 2500,s are better than the 1500,s in this regard. The rotors on a half ton only last on average 2 years. At least I got 4 years and almost 80,000 kms.
With my old truck I was getting close to 150,000 kms between brake jobs. So much for new technology. :D :D :D

drgracr
08-25-2004, 16:32
on my 02 3500 before i traded it in, I had 90,000km on in and the front rotors were great, the rears were gonna need to be changed..still had about 60% pad left.

Every 12 months vehicle with a RGW of 4500+ kg. or a combined over 4500kg must go through a annual saftey aswell as trailer..exceptions house trailer, motorhome or pickup with slide in camper.

the best part is once a vehicle is plated over 4500kg.(9900lbs) all the commercial big truck laws go into affect..lots of fun :eek:

crafty
09-09-2004, 09:03
I found out on the weekend that I have to do the rear brakes right away.
Can anyone tell me if there is any advantage to sticking with GM parts or does the aftermarket stuff last just as well???? Based on the prices I've got so far I could do two brake jobs with after market parts for the price of one with GM parts.
Also do you reccomend using ceramic brake pads or will the semi-metalic ones do? I've been told that you need the Ceramic to reduce the brake dust and avoid messing up the aluminum rims. Another place said that I will get a squeal with semi-metalic and would be sorry that I hadn't used ceramic. Still another place is offering a lifetime gaurantee with the semi-metalic and has never had any problems like I mentioned above.
Can anyone give me the "truth" about this????
:D :D :D