PDA

View Full Version : Protective coating for rocker panels.

jfile
04-08-2003, 13:18
Looking for a protective coating for the rocker panels. I have BFG all terrain tires that pickup rocks and knock the hek out of my rocker panels. Thought of using a spray in bead liner coating to protect but have seen that after time the shinny finish of the bead liner wears off. Is there a way to keep the shine on the bead liner coating or any other ideas?

Jim Cobler
04-08-2003, 13:33
Along this same line, has anyone noticed the rear tires can throw mud and rocks forward and strike the lower edge of the cab just ahead of rear wheels?

This debris flies forward under the bed of the truck to strike the cab. While I do not have any chips yet, I have washed mud off several times. Has anyone come up with a way to deal with this problem?

Roofer
04-08-2003, 16:39
You could do what Ford does and use clear tape on the lower corners of the wheel wells. smile.gif
I have noticed this also and it kinda bugs me, but have no good solution yet.

Paintdude
04-08-2003, 17:35
They make chip resistant coatings that can be painted, but they are real hard to keep clean (the good stuff)..Your truck will always look dirty down there even when it is clean..Any shiney finish will just chip of off the coating and look worse than a regular chip..IMO

Look at the under side of a rocker panel on some new cars, alot of them have it on them..

Running boards do the best job, but reduce ground clearance of course..

JimWilson
04-09-2003, 15:22
I was thinking about applying some of that wide, clear adhesive backed 3M mylar film designed to protect the nose of the truck. It's supposed to be invisible, which would suit me better then black bedliner would.

mdapperdan
04-09-2003, 17:00
If I could afford a new truck I guess I'd worry about the small things. I thought they called that ROAD RASH?

JMJORDAN
04-09-2003, 18:54
I Rhino Lined my rockers. Looks nice. It looks like paint unless you get close. Had them spray it thick on bottom and with very little texture. My truck is pewter with black flares so I had them use black. Looks like I have two tone paint. Rhino can be color matched. Cost $375 for the rockers on my crew cab longbed. In my opinion the ultimate protection. :D

JMJORDAN
04-09-2003, 18:57
I have some pics I can email if you interested

Paintdude
04-09-2003, 19:57
There has been cases of moisture behind the rhino Lining causing massive rust problems down the road later..That is why I do not use the stuff..I have not personally seen it, just a opinion from someone who I respect..

Good Luck.. smile.gif

Inspector
04-09-2003, 22:14
There is a product that has been out for a few years called Hammerite. It comes in colors and is very durable. Can't chip it with a hammer.
Denny

oyazi
04-09-2003, 23:53
After I brought the new twuk home, I applied an adhesive backed clear tape from Cabelas. Its thick/rugged and in MO cheap protection. However it wasn't fun to apply. Still it was better than the duct tape I usually use on my out of state hunting trips :rolleyes:

[ 04-10-2003: Message edited by: oyazi ]</p>

Buck
04-10-2003, 02:01
I have 7 5/8" wide(widest available) Polished Stainless Steel rocker trim. Does the job for me!

Bass_on_tap
04-10-2003, 06:38
Try invinca-sheild. Great product but a major pain to apply. Go to a professional and have them apply it for you. It cost my buddy $200.00 labor to have the entire nose including the lower cowl of his 03 GMC Sierra done. You don't even know it's there. I did my Silverado and wished I paid to have it done. Check out this website for all the info. Dave

http://www.invinca-shield.com/

Smittybilt
04-10-2003, 20:27
Just ordered and received stainless steel rocker panel covers in Treadbrite finish. Haven't installed them yet. Will post pictures when this is done. Thought this would not only protect the rockers but also take away from the 1 color monotony of the paint. Rey

Turbo Al
04-11-2003, 11:35
Being the cheapest guy in this bunch :eek: I just used undercoating. In almost two years NOBODY has noticed / said anything about it. My truck is Red and the undercoating is black. I spend a lot of time on gravel roads and it has held up well.
I simply put masking tape on the top corner (edge) of the rocker panel and undercoated everything below that.

JMJORDAN
04-11-2003, 14:01
Paintdude
I never thought about that happening. I would think it would be because of poor prep work by the installer. It does not matter how good product is if it is installed incorrectly. My 95 chevy 2500 was rhinolined in 95 when I bought it. Held up wonderful. I live on a dirt road that is why I had them sprayed. Running boards work good to but buy ones made of stainless steel. Just my .02 cents

jfile
04-12-2003, 10:41
Turbo Al what is the specific product for the undercoating are you talking about?

Turbo Al
04-14-2003, 11:14
Jfile:
Brand name =
PRO FORM
Pro Guard Gravlguard -- Black PF 715-1 is the spray on type. I think it comes in a couple of colours.
Blue can with white lettering in USA and Blue can with red & white lettering in Canada.

I used the brush on type but it is really thick so I would go with the spray on (with a brush) type because it is a little easier to work with. I have the air gun applicator as well ($15.00) but you need to buy the small can of Pro Form to screw into the bottom of gun.

Paintdude
04-14-2003, 11:34
I looked at a buddies Ranger that had a Rhinolining in it yesterday...places on it had areas where moisture could get behind the coating..I could see how it could become a problem after looking at his more closely.. :(

carnutsx2
04-15-2003, 22:50
I found a clear spray on chip guard at the auto paint store that you can spray over paint or paint over. I used it on my painted flares on a red truck. I had the same stuff on my Dodge for years and never had a problem. The best part a can is less than $20 and it will do a truck easy.

Turbo Al
04-16-2003, 12:29
As far as the water (moisture) under the undercoating goes it does and will happen if,
A. undercoat applied over moist area
B. undercoat get chipped and moisture works it's way under it.
C. no way should you pressure wash undercarrige then undercoat on the same day -- I actually saw a shop doing this.

I undercoat only on really hot day when it has been dry for at least a week. When repairing chips or scrapes the same applies as well as scraping off the surrounding undercoating before patching.

JimWilson
04-17-2003, 21:17
jmjordan; I'd be interested in those pics of the "rhinoed rockers". Can you send them to jawilson@ix.netcom.com.

wangotango
04-17-2003, 23:44
JMJORDAN ---

I too am curious about rocker pics
got broadband
no file too big
thanks

w/t

robhga@charter.net

[ 04-17-2003: Message edited by: wangotango ]</p>