PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter?

Dobe Man
04-09-2003, 07:17
I'm a newbie to this forum and have a large learning curve with my 03 2500HD. I have a few questions about the fuel filter. How often should I change it and any tips on how to change it? Does anyone carry an extra filter with them on long hauls? Thanks

jbplock
04-09-2003, 07:48
Dobe Man,

Welcome to the forum! The best way to learn about the Duramax fuel filter is to use the forum Search feature (upper right on this page). Search the Duramax 6600 forum for fuel filters. You'll find LOTS of info. There is also a Duramax filter change article available in the 2002 Feature Articles and Product Reviews. (http://www.thedieselpage.com/back02.htm)

In short, the factory manual recommends a 30kmi change interval but most change it around 10kmi or sooner - especially if it plugs due to bad fuel. And yes, it's a good idea to have a spare filter - and filter wrench - with you on the road just in case you get a bad load of fuel that plugs the filter.

smile.gif

[ 04-09-2003: Message edited by: jbplock ]</p>

AlanL
04-09-2003, 08:41
How long does the filter change usually take?

I'm coming up on 8,000 miles and I'm going to be doing a 1200 mile tow early next week. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and change the filter for the first time prior to the trip or just wait until around 10K miles.

I've had no fuel problems at all thus far and no percieved degredation of performance, etc...

-Al

rtquig
04-09-2003, 09:43
I changed my filter for the first time at 13K, cut it open and looked like I could get quite a few more miles out of it. I now do it every 15K and keep a spare under the back seat in case I get bad fuel on the road.

NFLDMAX
04-09-2003, 10:45
It usually takes around 20 mins or so to change it out. I still do mine from the top, but others go through the fender well.