PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Rattle on 2003 DMAX

502_Jimmy
12-22-2003, 07:43
I know this was covered at least one time, but I can't seem to find the post on it. My 03 D'max has a terrible rattling noise around the windshield area. Yes, I have a bugshield, but I had one on my 01 and my 02 Silverado Trucks witout this noise. Dad has one on his 02 GMC without noise.

I have no real time to take this to the dealer.. Anyone know where/how/what to do to help stop this. It is beginning to really drive me nuts. I thought I saw something about Elec tape or something, but can't remember the details.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
John

2K2AD
12-22-2003, 08:10
If it sounds like a flapping, there is a TSB on it. I do not know if it applies to 03s, but the fix is to glue or otherwise fasten the outer edge of the windshield seal down to the glass. This problem is apparently amplified by your bug deflector.

Look here for more... (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=005142)

Kevin

502_Jimmy
12-22-2003, 08:16
Thanks,

That's what I was looking for.

John

DmaxMaverick
12-22-2003, 09:51
3M double sided tape (GM's recommendation) is best, but RTV will also work.

Remove the trim piece at the outer edges of the windshield. The screws are accessible with the doors open. Just place the tape (or small bead of RTV) on the trim and reinstall it. It will stick it to the windshield and keep it from flapping.

The RTV actually works best, but adds a step to a windshield replacement. The RTV has to be removed and replaced with the new glass. The tape just pulls off.