PDA

View Full Version : Front ELocker guys please read

Jorday
09-02-2004, 19:10
I've had My E locker up front for quite a while and I was in some mud last weekend and was using it and I got to thinking about something.

I'm afraid my e locker may not be working.

My understanding of the way the 4x4 disengages is somewhat limited, but I do know that it engages in the transfer case and then it also engages in the right side of the axle when you put it in 4wd. The left side axle shaft does not disengage when you are in 2wd.

If you were to leave the truck in 2wd with the e locker locked up, would the front driveshaft still turn if you were to drive around? I was thinking that it would force the driveshaft to turn because the differential acts like a spool and is being driven by the left front wheel.

My driveshaft does not turn in 2wd when the e locker engages, but it seems like it should if the e locker is working properly, unless I am missing something.

E locker guys, maybe you can help. If you have the truck in the driveway in 2wd and engage the e locker move the truck foreward or backward a foot or two and see if the front driveshaft moves while the truck is still in 2wd. Either that or explain to me what I'm missing.

Thanks,
Jordan

DarylB
09-03-2004, 03:08
If you were to leave the truck in 2wd with the e locker locked up, would the front driveshaft still turn if you were to drive around? No sir. The way those new diffs work (I believe) is that it disengages the spider gears, otherwise, your driveshaft would spin all the time.

I think the GM front diffs work a little different than the old Dodge's with a central axle disconnect (Please elaborate if you know specific please, I'd like to know). What you described sounds like a dodge front end. If you watch, both your CV joints should turn all the time when the truck is rolling, driveshaft does not(while in 2wd).

To test your E-locker, jack up the front of truck & engage it. Turn one wheel - the opposite side should turn the same direction (IE, locked front end) Drive shaft shouldn't turn. Let us know what you find out.

- Daryl

Jorday
09-03-2004, 07:32
I'll check it out. Someone also suggested that there also may be a way that the pinion disengages.

TSimpler
09-03-2004, 12:49
take it into the mud and ask a buddy if everything turns.

Have you had any other troubles?

Trent

Jorday
09-03-2004, 22:51
I had it in the mud today and it works for sure, so no worries. smile.gif

TSimpler
09-04-2004, 12:37
How hard was it to install.

Have you had any troubles, IE with weekness in the truck or such?

Thanks
Trent

Jorday
09-05-2004, 10:59
It wasn't too bad of a job to install the E Locker. It really seems to help out in the mud, too. I haven't had any trouble with it or the truck from having it installed.