PDA

View Full Version : Fluid Level for G80 Locker?

Dobe Man
04-14-2003, 08:22
I checked the fluid level in the G80 Locker of my new 03 and it seemed to be low. Should the level be up to the fill hole? Thanx

Jackmchome
04-14-2003, 10:00
10mm (.4") below the lip of the hole

mdrag
04-14-2003, 11:49
The 2001 Helm manual lists the spec for the 11.5" differential as:

0 - 10mm (0.4") below the fill hole.

NFLDMAX
04-14-2003, 12:48
How much gear oil does it take to get it to 10 mm below the hole from a complete drain? :confused:

a64pilot
04-14-2003, 13:02
About 4 qts. I personally fill it to the point that it will run out of the filler hole on a level surface as my interpetation is that 10mm or .4 in is the min. fill point.

Minn-kota
04-14-2003, 14:08
How can one tell the level from the bottom of the hole? Is there some sort of gauge or angled tool that fits in the filler hole?

Another question is how do you fill it? I have a pump/hose that I use to fill my outboard boat motor's lower unit, is that typically the same thing that's used for the axles and transfercase filling?

Thanks

a64pilot
04-14-2003, 14:21
Minn-kota ,
I fill it until it runs out. Another way is to use an allen wrench. keep the long end level, insert the small end, remove it and read it as you would a dip stick.
To fill, a pump would be best, being cheap I get enough (about a foot)of clear vinyl hose from the hardware store. large enough to fit over the end of the funnel shaped end of the bottle. stick the end of the tube in the opening of the rear end. Invert the bottle, holding it higher than the rear end if possible, and squeeze bottle being careful to hold the tube. The oil is thick enough to cause enough back pressure to blow the end off of the hose from the bottle.
Note, don't clip the end off of all your bottles. Save one to seal the last bottle as you may have some left over.

Idle_Chatter
04-14-2003, 14:52
Large auto parts stores (like Autozone and Pep Boys) sell a nifty little screw-on valve and hose nipple that fit on the 1 qt oil bottles. I have a couple of them. You put about 10" of 3/8" clear tubing on the doo-hickey, screw it onto a full lube bottle and twist the collar 1/4 turn to shut off the internal valve. I found that I could drop the spare, sit under the bed cross legged and have plenty of access to the diff and clearance above in the axle tunnel for the lube bottle. With the fill adapater, you can put in the tube and invert the bottle and then twist "on" the flow. I even found that it fit up so well that I could "squeeze fill" the lube instead of waiting for gravity.

Lone Eagle
04-14-2003, 21:14
Dito what Idle said. Later! Lone Eagle ;)

jbplock
04-15-2003, 05:44
Dittos to the screw-on valve with vinyl tubing. Also, If you attach the closed valve then turn the bottle upside down and punch a hole in the bottom, the oil flows in much faster. smile.gif

Nixter
04-16-2003, 23:51
I just squeeze the bottles until they yield most of their contents, and then combine the remainder of each into a single bottle to top it off. It only takes a minute or so. --Nick

JimWilson
04-17-2003, 21:10
I have a funnel that has about a 3 foot length of tubing attached to it (bought like that, I didn't create it). I can place the funnel in the wheel well above the rear tire and snake the tubing into the fill hole. Then I just plop my butt in a chair next to the tire and pour away. Worked okay for me.