PDA

View Full Version : How important is the MAF sensor?

Alli-max
04-15-2003, 08:36
Went under the hood last night, and noticed.... it is GONE! Just a little of the casing is there. STRAAAANGE. No codes sent, and dont know how long it has been that way.

chuntag95
04-15-2003, 08:53
Did you find the wire harness that connects to it? In theory, the engine should not run, at least not well. Did somebody stole it? I think it had those security torx screws on it. STRAAAANGE doesn't begin to describe it. :eek:

a64pilot
04-15-2003, 10:14
Alli-Max,
I've been wondering why it is there too. Without a throttle valve It should be an easy computation to determine air flow into the engine. As an example my 93 Z28 has no MAF, It works on a speed-density computation and an 02 sensor. I'm betting it is for future growth, I.E. more stringent emmision standards. I have disconnected Mine and it not thrown a code for quite a while, I have felt no drivability issues either. It has been an annoyance with the K&N Aircharger however, they don't get along.

Alli-max
04-15-2003, 11:40
thanks a64... then again, that might be what caused my head gasket problems.. heehee

dmaxalliTech
04-15-2003, 18:47
D-max no like no MAF :mad:

Is it possible that the casing you have seen is the air filter minder indicator :confused:

If thats the case, no biggy, MAF mounts in air duct just downs stream of air filter and is held in with tamper proof torx.

Kennedy
04-15-2003, 22:14
This is on the clean side of the filter, regardless of what piece it is, so plug the hole...

a64pilot
04-17-2003, 07:40
John,
Good point. You always think pratically. BTW, don't plug it with anything the turbo could possibly suck in. You just thought a paper clip could wreak havoc with the vacuum cleaner, you ought to see a turbine when pratically anything gets in.

chuntag95
04-17-2003, 07:47
I used duct tape on my filter minder when the stealer knocked it off. Had to run about a week like that till they got one in and I could get it picked up. Did just fine.