PDA

View Full Version : Steve O' --Allison 2400 ?

Burner
04-15-2003, 16:37
OK, say that you

77TransAm
04-16-2003, 08:22
A 2400 series only has a steeper first gear ratio (the others are the same), and I don't think first is where most people have a problem, is it? Anyway, there are a few differences that come to mind between a 1000 and a 2400 that would affect a pickup truck installation:
- the P3 carrier and ring gear, which gives the different first gear ratio. This ratio change is what would give you trouble - there are no calibrations available for a 2400 that work with pickup truck functions like grade braking, and there are no pickup truck cals that will work with the different first gear ratio. As soon as you took off in first gear with your pickup truck calibration, the trans would throw a ratio code and you'd be stuck in first.
- the piston for the C5 clutch is smaller in pickup truck applications, and there is no rear cover that fits a pickup that will hold the bigger piston.
- the rear cover that mates to the transfer case is different than a 2400 series rear cover, so you can't just install a 2400 rear cover on to give you the bigger piston.
- another 4WD difference is that the transmission output shaft is much smaller to let it fit into the transfer case input, and it is a different length than a 2WD shaft, so you can't just swap that out either.
- the main pressure regulating valve has more clearance in its bore on a 2400, which provides better idle cooling, but will increase your chances of experiencing the dreaded "converter drainback" problem in a pickup truck.
- the converters are different, but not drastically so. In fact, some medium duties run the same converter as the diesel-equipped pickup trucks run.
- the rest of the components are basically the same. No differences in the pump, gear train (except the P3 carrier), valve body, etc.

Burner
04-16-2003, 11:52
I don't have the info on hand, but I do remember that the only ratio that is the same is "4th gear" being a 1:1 ratio. The other ratios are lower and 5th is .74 a little different than our .71 5th gear. I will need to take a closer look at the 2400. If the cases are the same.............heck, I'm just hard headed. :rolleyes: --------- TansAM, thank you for the info. :D Could you swap "some" of the guts between the two? Is it possible to place a "check valve" in the line to prevent this drainback problem? I think that the Dodge trucks have one.

------- I'm looking for something that won't cost 4,000 bucks to alter. With a Dodge it only takes 2,200 dollars to fix and the Ford seems to be holding about 1,000 ft lbs stock. It would be nice if we had only to "swap" transmissions in order to "get power to the ground". I can swap to a 2400 for 2,500 dollars plus core, it seems that plan is out the door. :(

77TransAm
04-16-2003, 13:25
Burner, you're right... I should have said that first and reverse are the only ranges with noticeably different ratios. Second has a difference of .09, while third and fifth have differences of only .03 between the 1000 and the 2400.

Yes, you can swap all of the internals between the two, but you'll still run into the ratio problems with the pickup truck calibration and the 2400 ratios. If you go to a 2400 cal, you'll lose some of the pickup truck functionality (including torque management, which is the only way the pickup truck 1000s get away with using the smaller C5 piston).

You would definitely want some of the parts from your 1000 to make a 2400 fit in the truck (converter housing, rear cover, output shaft, etc), so plan on paying the core charge, too. smile.gif

[ 04-16-2003: Message edited by: 77TransAm ]</p>

Burner
04-17-2003, 21:23
Anyone esle have an Idea on this?

Burner-----&gt; :rolleyes: :D

Kennedy
04-18-2003, 07:02
I don't think you'll need it. The 1000 should do fine once upgraded. I'm just getting acquainted with the ATS level 2, but it seems like it will do the job nicely...

Forced Induction
04-18-2003, 10:02
JK,
Be sure and let us know what you think about the ATS upgrade. I for one would love to know how much the trans can really handle with the upgrade. The trans is currently the only thing stopping me from going with the HOT juice, I still have 3.5x (I think). Anywho keep us posted. Thanks!! smile.gif

JA

Burner
04-18-2003, 11:57
Forced,

Get the HOT JUICE. I have seen the hot juice in action on level 4 with no problems. However, you will need an exhaust and guages.

Just ask John or shoot him an email.

Burner------&gt; :D

Kennedy
04-18-2003, 12:52
Gtech 0-60 in 5.58 with a relatively conservative launch, and I still have 250# of sand bags in the bed.

5th gear is still uncertain...

KevinK
04-19-2003, 07:26
Hey John,

5.58 sec. is pretty quick. Is that a 2wd or 4wd launch? I'm a bit off topic, but had to ask.

Kevin

Desert Diesel
04-19-2003, 16:14
-----5th gear is still uncertain...-----

John, does this to mean you were able to slip 5th gear?

Kennedy
04-21-2003, 10:38
There's a bit of "refining" going on with these kits as we speak. The 5.58 was a 4wd launch, but I don't go past 8psi boost as my LF tire will spin and I assume take a "step" on a hard launch. I have 4) 70# sand bags in the bed at this time.

On my first test drive, I was really c oncerned and wondered what I had done to my transmission. It shifts like a WAY shift kitted TH400 :eek: but then the TCM starts to learn and trim the pressures back and it settles down.

I just spoke with Clint and he has some different programming for the module coming as well as a different orifice for the solenoid block as the production unit was mis-sized. While I did manage to break out of 5th gear, that was with my 432RW setup (just dyno'd again at 431.5 with eraser shavings showing up on the slipping tires) Clint has assured me that the new solenoid block and programming will correct any issues present.

FYI, with my 5" tailpipe they insert a 4" exhaust pipe 12" long INSIDE my outlet for smoke control. This is attached to a heavy steel flex hose. At the 370ish range, this pipe will blow out of my tailpipe...

WillowCreekStable
04-21-2003, 10:51
5.58!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm suitably impressed!

What goodies from your toy box were on the truck for this and how much do you think you gained from the transmission mods? How much do you gain with the 4WD launch?

Jake99Z71
04-21-2003, 10:59
I would have to concur with JK on the shifting being a little on the to firm side. But it has started to settle down. The trans seems to down shift a little better for stopping power on it's own. But other than that it really locks the trans up good from gear to gear. This kit will be relatively easy for most mechanically inclined people to install. Clint has a few things to workout on the instructions and the kit. I'm also waiting on the new controller software and orifice.

JK did you do the install yourself?

Kennedy
04-21-2003, 14:40
I ran my 432HP combo for that run. Truck w/me in it was likely at near 8,000# as tested.

I did the install myself, and yes, there were parts that were unclear in the instructions. As a vendor I know how difficult it can be to cover everything in an install guide, plus I have pretty good memory skills to do re-assembly. I often do better w/o destructions myself.

Only issue I had was almost losing a solenoid retaining pin that went flying, AND having enough arm strenght left at 8pm to get the valve body lined up and held in place. The valve body is relat8ively light, but overhead working with the arms can get to a guy, especially after a long day...

sdaver
04-22-2003, 08:45
yea jk its gotta be is tough lifting that phone reciever and wrenching the throttle on that harley.......Im still walking the fence between the ats and the suncoast fix :D great info here good question burner :D dave