PDA

View Full Version : Trans blew fluid out vent - temp 200

Desert Diesel
04-15-2003, 17:37
Does anyone have any insight as to why I lost a quart of trans fluid while towing up a long grade when the trans temp never exceeded 200

Jackmchome
04-15-2003, 17:56
It is almost un-believable how low the oil checks on the stick if the tranny is not up to temp.
My guess is that someone overfilled it.

[ 04-15-2003: Message edited by: Jackmchome ]</p>

Desert Diesel
04-15-2003, 18:06
Jackmchome,

That was my initial thought. However no fluid (that I know of) has been added or changed since the inital filter change 17,000 miles ago.

I've towed up the same grade many times without trouble.

mackin
04-15-2003, 18:36
Desert Diesel

Where did it blow out off ?? Can you tell ??

Where's the master Steve'O when we need him ..... ;)

He had a good run going now he's pretty quiet.....

MAC

Desert Diesel
04-15-2003, 19:19
mackin,

Since fluid was everywhere including the underside of the hump above the trans I would assume it blew out the vent on top.

The truck is currently at the dealer being checked out.

I might add that the only difference between this and other trips is that I held 5th for a long time, Very little 4-5 shifting.

I wonder if you can overheat the 5th gear clutch or create too much fluid pressure without overheating the fluid?

schnier
04-16-2003, 12:56
I had trans fluid all over the bottom of my truck once last year. It turned out that I had it in 4x4 mode on the highway at 70mph for about 30 miles. It came out the transfer case vent hose which is on top off the transmission. Checked the level afterwards and it was about 8 ounces low. Cleaned up under the truck and have not had a problem for a year or so now. I thought the transfer case could have possibly been over full. hope you find the problem but be sure it will duplicate before you have them look at it.

Desert Diesel
04-22-2003, 10:36
Just got my truck back from the dealer and they claim that the tranfer case gasket failed.

I somehow find this hard to believe. The truck has never leaked. Then all of a sudden it blows a bunch of fluid after towing 125 miles. I pull over, see the problem, add fluid to a low trans and tow another 100 miles without leaking?

Dealer said the trans fluid level was fine and not overfilled. Well if it wasn't overfilled where did the quart I added go :confused:

I guess I'll wait and see what happens on the next trip.