PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil torque-drive

nickm3
12-23-2003, 13:03
Looks like Amsoil has a new trans fluid that is comparable to Castrol Transynd but supposedly at a more reasonable price. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this product? Where have you all been purchasing your Transynd at? Unless I've overlooked a convenient source the Amsoil would be more readily available also.

Kent Tuttle
12-23-2003, 17:30
Info on Amsoil's site:
http://www.amsoil.com/products/atd.htm

I have just been using Amsoil's ATF in the Allison. I plan on switching over to the Torque Drive ATF on my next service.
I think the Transynd is only available at the Allison dealers?, but others my know of different sources.

max out
12-23-2003, 19:12
How many miles are you putting on before you do tranny service? I replaced my spin on at 5000 and now it's rollin up on 10000 and I'm going to replace it again, when you change out fluid are you replacing filter inside the trans pan or just draining and refilling?

Kent Tuttle
12-24-2003, 09:31
Lets see, I have done one at 5, 10, 20, and 30K each with a new Allison spin on and fluid (just drain and fill). At the 20K service I switched over to deep pan and had to change the internal filter to the longer one. I know this is a little excessive on the service but that is just me. At this point I'm going to go with service every 20K.

Kennedy
12-28-2003, 06:59
One thing to consider. There is no mention of the word "Meets" in the product description. Lots of mention of "recommended for" etc.

I have no experience with this new product, and for all I know, it may be good, but I KNOW that the Allison/Castrol stuff is good. I'd hate to see a guy use this on the extended service schedule and have a warranty related issue.

PS. I currently do NOT have anything to gain by recommending Transynd, and likely never will...

moisheh
12-28-2003, 07:31
Allison has an extensive list of approved oils. The ONLY synthetic approved for extended changes is transynd. Amsoil is an approved oil, BUT anly as a substitute for dino oil. So are 100,s of other brands at less money. Amsoil uses a lot of doublespeak.

LanduytG
12-30-2003, 04:17
Have sold a lot of it. A couple of guys that have high HP motors that could slip the Allison can no longer slip it. As for the approved list for extended service that will always be Transyd and will never be anything else. Also the extended service warranty does not effect our pickups. Its only on heavier trucks the extend warranty comes into play. That info is direct from my local Allison shop.

Greg