PDA

View Full Version : What's New for '05

More Power
09-06-2004, 15:13
<a href="http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/2005MY.htm" target="_blank">Two Thousand Five
New GM Pickup Truck Specs & Detailed Information
August 2004 </a>

We're always looking forward to the mid-year announcements of the upcoming model lineup for GM's 2500HD/3500 pickup trucks. Evolutionary changes to both the exterior appearance and to mechanical/electrical systems enhance function and help improve ownership satisfaction, and the 2005 models continue that tradition. While we tend to focus on the 2500HD/3500 models, you'll find the powertrain specs for the gas engine equipped trucks here as well as those powered by the Duramax diesel.

Buck
09-11-2004, 16:51
MP, We have about 200+ 2005 HDs at work and all of them have 16" wheels. Where did you get your info? Maybe another mid year change is coming.......

OH, what's the deal with the fuel tank sizes?

More Power
09-12-2004, 09:43
All of the specs and 2005 change info came directly from GM Media.... I suspect there could be some differences in production vehicles from what was published by GM, but the crystal ball doesn't always produce a perfect image.

If there are specific items found in production vehicles that are different from what was published by GM, I can correct the "record", so to speak. Your report on the wheels is a good example of how to help me update the info to make it more accurate.

The fuel tank sizes is another example. I suspect the shortbox capacity for the 2005 models should be listed 25.9 gallons - not 35.9.

Thanks....

MP

Randee of the Redwoods
09-12-2004, 14:50
I may have missed something, but the 2500hd I test drove and the 2005 2500hd I have on order both have f/r disc brakes with 4 wheel anti lock. The spec sheets the salesman printed up at the dealer also say the same.

john8662
09-14-2004, 12:18
What ever happened to the rumor of bringin back the "big hood" design that was featured on the '01 and '02 Chevys? I was sure wanting to see GM change the Chevy front end. :rolleyes:

RdTxTd
09-14-2004, 15:55
I saw a couple of 05 Chevys at a dealer nearby recently. They do have the "big hood".

One thing I am curious about is the fuel tank size. The page referenced above says that all diesels have 34-gal tanks. Do the short-bed diesels have a larger tank than short-bed gas trucks?

jbplock
09-15-2004, 01:39
Originally posted by RdTxTd:
... Do the short-bed diesels have a larger tank than short-bed gas trucks? Unfortunately No... My 03 2500HD Dmax CC SB has the smaller tank..

Tractorhauler
09-15-2004, 11:03
MP,

What does the article mean by "a reduction in parasitic losses due to disengaged fan speed."

Is he talking about small losses of antifreeze?
If so I think that would explain why I have been adding about a half gallon of antifreeze to my 6.6 every 6 months,

Mark

DmaxMaverick
09-15-2004, 11:56
Originally posted by Tractor hauler:
MP,

What does the article mean by "a reduction in parasitic losses due to disengaged fan speed." Parasitic loss is the power lost due to the fan clutch engaging, the power the fan robs from the engine. It sounds like they increased the fan clutch engagement tempurature threshold, or reduced the ratio. That means the ECT's will increase, but economy/power will improve slightly when the engine heats up, and you will hear the fan less. Good or bad? I don't know. My '01 seems to work like it should, and I would be concerned if it didn't engage like it does now. It has to be due to economy issues and noise complaints.

If you are loosing coolant, it has nothing to do with parasitic loss. You have other issues to deal with. Replace the pressure cap and cross your fingers. Mine hasn't lost a drop in 80K.

Buck
09-16-2004, 08:52
One other thing, The Heavy Duty Power Package is now $7900 :eek:

It includes:

Duramax Diesel (LLY)
Allison Transmission (M74)
Locking rear differential (G80)

chuntag95
09-16-2004, 09:02
Tractor Hauler,

My coolant lose was injector cup seals. After those were replace, I have not lost any in 30k miles. You shouldn't have to add ever.

Lawnboy
09-28-2004, 04:07
Originally posted by Buck:
One other thing, The Heavy Duty Power Package is now $7900 :eek:

It includes:

Duramax Diesel (LLY)
Allison Transmission (M74)
Locking rear differential (G80) It also includes a -$1000 rebate on the HDPower Package.

But I just configured one for Dad last night and I thought it was six thousand something and then the thousand off brought it down into the fives?

This was on the 3500 though.

Kennedy
09-28-2004, 05:01
Tom Jr,

If you are using an LT for a base, it will be less.

Kennedy
09-28-2004, 05:28
$6510 on the PDN Heavy Duty Power pkg. on the LT. This is because the LT has an automatic transmission in the base already I believe.

See if you can find a 3500 SRW to drive also just to see how Tanker likes the ride, ESPECIALLY if he's going long.

Lawnboy
09-28-2004, 06:10
Thanks John.

Tanker is definately looking for a GMC (I won't let him get a Chevy!). So, it will be a SLT, most likely all options except for DVD.

Tanker is definately now looking for a CC Long Bed. (It fits in the garage with about 3" clearance. Backed in only). Measured with my truck backed in and added appropriatly for the CC.

I feel he should go with the 3500 SRW, if for anything, it's pre-calibrated for 265's. Also, the overload spring should give him better feel with his high tounge load.

He was all confused with the blurb about 17" wheels, electric fans, drum brakes, that Jim posted in his article.

I wish they DID go with 17"ers and a revised cooling fan though.

Kennedy
09-29-2004, 06:49
I'd suggest std mirrors and adding the TTT units like I have. I've heard numerous complaints that the flat glass of the OE extendables doesn't let you see much, PLUS the size is so small that a convex stick on robs too much area. The TTT units have a nice convex unit where the boot is on the Powervision units...

Chris N5CWM
09-29-2004, 20:00
I'd be happier if GM used a 34 gallon, give or take, in the short bed trucks. Heck my 2001 Ram shortbed quad-cab has a 34 gallon tank.

Regarding the new 605 torque rating of the LLY, how can you tell? There must be a specific changeover date or VIN. Or a way to identify the tuning in the ECM via an OBD scanner.

Alas, most of us probably couldn't tell the difference between 590 and 605 Ft Lbs anyway huh?

:cool:

[ 10-01-2004, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Chris N5CWM ]