PDA

View Full Version : Driveline clunk

Greg Watkins
09-07-2004, 06:12
I hav epurchased a used 2002 2500HD D/A LB 4x4. It has the 2 piece drive shaft but I do NOT notice any kind of "shudder" at start. I do however notice a clunk when I start. Almost like a u-joint not working correctly. I have read several posts (and replies) regarding a similar type problem (question) and the response always seems to be to lube the splines on the driveshaft. What doesn't seem so evident is whether this solution is for a 2 piece driveshaft or not. It "feels" like it is coming from the rear of the truck which is why I am saying the u-joint. However, it sounds just like the other issues I have read regarding lubing the driveshaft. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

greg

David Proske
09-09-2004, 01:04
I also feel something when I take off like a loose rear gear set or slop in the driveshaft. I also have the 2 piece drifeshaft. My truck has 24,000 miles.

rjwest
09-09-2004, 08:15
Jack up the rear wheels, leave in park,

turn 1 wheel and you will be able to see/ here
location of " slop "

probably ring and pinion...

I try to go from reverse to neutral(hesitate) to drive
and virsa, Unloads drive train before
appling power. especialy when truck is loaded.

Derek M
09-10-2004, 19:44
I have a CC LB with two piece drive shaft that does the same thing. When I come to a stop I get a slight bump, letting of the brakes I get another bump. I've noticed that in fall and winter months the condition lessens or for the most part disappears. In the hot spring and summer the bump gets more apparent.

All I've done with mine is every 15k miles or so lube the slip yoke splines with some Mobile1 chassis lube. This makes the problem disappear for a while. Wish I could find a more permanent solution or a lube that would last longer.