PDA

View Full Version : AreoQuip Heat Sleeves

DA BIG ONE
03-15-2005, 03:15
Oil bypass system in my truck has the added feature of heat sleeves to protect the lines even further from radiant heat. While costly, I consider the extra protection worth every cent.

While I use AreoQuip (sold by the foot), other vendors do have quality sleeves too. The most common are for covering sparkplug boots between header assemblies on high performance, and turbo gas engines.

I had first removed the x/over pipe cleaned it then coated w/high temp silicone, wrapped it in header wrap, coated it again, doing this 3 times it created a nice heat barrier in the area of the bypass hoses.

gmctd
03-15-2005, 19:05
The exhaust system, incl x-over pipe, can encounter +1100deg sustained temps for the length of the grade - is that silicone and stuff directly resistant to those temps, and for what time frame?

DA BIG ONE
03-16-2005, 03:19
Originally posted by gmctd:
The exhaust system, incl x-over pipe, can encounter +1100deg sustained temps for the length of the grade - is that silicone and stuff directly resistant to those temps, and for what time frame? If I remember correctly it is silicone, but I have to recheck my book on temp resistance and time frame of the Areoquip product.

As for the header wrap I can put my hand on that area even after a hard run, but the manufacturer has no published temps or time frames.

I am open to suggestions for something better in this area of a heat barrier if there is such an animal..

gmctd
03-16-2005, 03:35
As you know, the header wrap is intended for that purpose, and those temps - the other materials are surely in question, tho, particularly if vehicle is used in towing, or hauling service.

I don't have any options, just an intense heat heads-up.

CareyWeber
03-16-2005, 03:57
The local hydralic store here has a product they call fire sleeve it's red. They sell it top a steel mill for protecttion of their hydralic lines from hot slag.

Carey

gmctd
03-16-2005, 04:14
I've seen that material used in jet turbine service, also, as radiant barrier shield, but not applied directly to the radiant source.

Be a good idea to check the direct surface contact properties of any heat shielding material.

A simple sheet-metal shield, spaced ~1/2" off and clamped to exh will provide excellent radiant barrier for adjacent items - tubing, starters, hose, etc.

The header-wrap on the exhaust should do it, then apply the silicone barrier to the hose\tubing, imo.

CareyWeber
03-16-2005, 08:32
Originally posted by CareyWeber:
The local hydralic store here has a product they call fire sleeve it's red. They sell it top a steel mill for protecttion of their hydralic lines from hot slag.

Carey I got interupted earlier (the wife chased me off the puter).

I plan to get some it it to put over my oil cooler lines.

Carey

DA BIG ONE
03-17-2005, 01:14
Did some research on the Areoquip firesleeve "red" I am using;

Good to +500 deg F direct heat, and -25 deg F.
What is required, is ends have to be sealed against the elements w/high temp silicone then banded w/ss strap. If you fail to do this then moisture enters sleeve renduring it close to useless.

Well, I did not know of this sealing requirement so just bought new hose, Areoquip "blue" hi-temp/hi pressure, right angle ss reusable ends to go to bypass manifold (for better routing around down pipe) firesleeve, hi-temp silicone and bands. Yes, costly but I will feel better when done!

gmctd
03-17-2005, 06:41
Just so we're on the same page - the silicone coating of concern is that used on the cross-over pipe, not the fire-sleeving on the hoses.

Are you talking 1200deg header paint?

DA BIG ONE
03-17-2005, 08:23
Originally posted by gmctd:
Just so we're on the same page - the silicone coating of concern is that used on the cross-over pipe, not the fire-sleeving on the hoses.

Are you talking 1200deg header paint? High Temp Silicone coating (type used for header wrap, or in squeeze tube) is required at both ends of firesleeve for sealing to prevent wicking of oil, water, & dirt then a stainless band should be used at each end of firesleeve.

The firesleeve should also cover the hose fitting as much as possible.

The ss bands are made in smaller sizes for the firesleeve, they are the same type used for header warp, but shorter.