PDA

View Full Version : Removing turbo oil drain.

Randee of the Redwoods
10-03-2003, 13:51
The time has come for me to do things to my truck that shouldn't be done. One of those things involves swapping the GM8 turbo I have laying around. BUT, after fooling with the turbo oil drain block piece, I had a good look at the areas I'd be working in. Can the turbo be taken off with the drain tube in place? How hard is it to get to the 2 bolts from underneath if it has to come off before the turbo can come off? How hard is it to get to the turbo bolts themselves? Since this is a Texas truck, I haven't had too much trouble on any of the bolts. Nice dry life has made them very compliant so far.

whatnot
10-03-2003, 14:03
When I had the turbo off mine, I left the return plate on the block. I don't remember it I took it apart at the hose or if I took out the 2 bolts on the turbo though.

patrick m.
10-03-2003, 17:47
i just replaced my GM4, and it was not tough to get to the two bolts under the center section. I also discovered that even with 180k miles, all of the bolts and nuts came out with no trouble. that would never happen on a gasser with equal miles.

you will probably need a new oil drain gasket, mine was stuck, and it tore.

DamienJ
10-03-2003, 17:51
It's not to hard to remove the two bolts(10mm), it can be tuff if you have big hand, but it's doable.
The turbo is a diffent story there are four bolts that connect the turbo to the exhast manifold(15mm, i think)These are a little more of a pain in the ass. It easier if you remove the water splash guard from the fender well. Then it is a little easier to get to them. I used a large extenison and swivle. Also could use a reg. wrench on the to inboard bolts(closet to the engine).
Just pry that someone was kind enough to use antiseze on the install.
Hope this helps a little.
Good luck

whatnot
10-03-2003, 20:27
Originally posted by DamienJ:
The turbo is a diffent story there are four bolts that connect the turbo to the exhast manifold(15mm, i think)If you ever took off a Banks turbo on a 6.2 system, you wouldn't be complaining.

StephenA
10-04-2003, 13:29
My 92 has a GM1. What are the advantages of the GM8?

[ 10-04-2003, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: StephenA ]

Uncle Wally
10-04-2003, 22:49
Supposedly the GM 8 flows better due to a relocated wastegate.

Waldo