PDA

View Full Version : Allison Stuck In 5th

Brandenburg
09-20-2004, 18:24
Here is an oddity, last Thursday morning while driving to work, it's lightly raining, I'm driving along and everything is normal until I start slowing down to 25 while approaching town and the SES comes on. I wonder why that is I thought as I waited at a stop sign. When traffic cleared, I began to accelerate and noticed that the engine seemed to be working a lot harder than normal to get it moving. I glanced at the Attitude display and noticed it said 5th gear. :confused: I tried hitting the OD lockout button and nothing, 5th gear. I then tried manually downshifting to 3rd, 2nd, and 1st and tow/haul, but still nothing but 5th gear unlocked. This was not 3rd gear limp mode but 5th gear! I continued to drive it, merging onto the freeway to see if the converter would lock when I got up to speed but it didn't. I pulled into the rest area right after the entrance to see if I had neutral and reverse and I did. I could go from park to reverse to neutral just fine but as soon as I selected D,3,2,or 1, it went straight to 5th. I then shut her down and rebooted and all was fine and has been ever since.

So what do you experts think? Is my Allison on the brink of learning the highly desired OD lock-IN feature :D or is disaster looming? :eek: