PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with the Brake Thing

wilbs999
04-21-2003, 19:36
Talked to a Jabeth Manner this evening, Chevy Customer Service. She has talked to the dealer that tried to service my truck, (have to bring it in again on Wednesday this week, because they didn't have the computer, and had it by Thursday, and didn't bother to call me and tell me).

I bought the truck in Waterbury (the dealership that is servicing it was a closer tow, but their idiot salesman didn't bother to call me back when I was looking for a truck), I guess I have to call Waterbury.

She absolutely swears that I have to remember to shut off that blower, or I will blow the ABS. I told her, tonight, that I have 7,500 miles on the truck, and if Chevy designed that blower to run, that I will be blowing ABS computers for the rest of the 36,000 miles, when I hope to get an 04, with leather, fancy mirrors with the arrows in them, (oh, I need the camper mirrors (buttons in my steering wheel for all of my stuff, whatever. Three times is lemon law in this state, she says no, if they tell me I have to shut the thing off, I won't be able to get the lemon law. I don't think that's the way it works.

I love my truck more than any material possession I have. They are NOT going to do this to me.

None of you had heard of this being a problem. The dealership continues to insist that it is a problem.

Thanks, Turbo, for your help so far. I believe you, and I believe that nobody on this board has had the problem. I'm hoping that it's just a faulty computer, when it gets fixed I will NOT shut off the blower motor, in fact, my husband insists he will sit in the truck, with the blower motor running, turn it off, turn it on, etc.

Chevy has never met the pit bull. (That's me, named by my Dad, my husband just likes to run along.)

Thanks guys!

Sharon

Lone Eagle
04-21-2003, 19:50
Did I miss a previous post? Later! Lone Eagle

wilbs999
04-21-2003, 20:53
It's below "Service brake system, all warning lights on."

Sorry, been talking to turbo in e-mail, so I just forgot nobody really knows.

My truck is an 03, EC, 6.6 Turbo Duramax. Blew my EBCM (code for the part they ordered, I think it's right) by not shutting off my blower (heater) before I shut off my truck.

Having a screaming fight with Chevy right now because they insist that I get my info from the closer dealer (they had to tow it there, not to where I bought it). The dealer says that the blower fan (because I have to remember to shut it off before I shut off the truck) is what blew my abs brake computer. Of course, that has been part of the design since before 2001, my future son-in-law has a gas 1500, does the same thing, never lost an abs computer, I believe he has a 2000.

I insisted, and gave my work e-mail address, copied the corporate lawyer, that a tech contact me tomorrow.

If the dealer doesn't know what they're talking about, WHY would GM try to hold them up?

I'm getting sick.

Just a sidebar, I had my 7,500 mile service done while it was in for it's diagnosis. I told them to change the oil, cause I didn't want to bring it back in a month. Summer is coming, more miles, you know. They put a sticker on my windshield telling me I needed my next oil change at 10,353, exactly 3,000 miles from my last? And they know about my truck? I've read the manual, the guys who work on it at Northwest Hills haven't.

They're going to fix the ABS computer on Wednesday, maybe. They have no intention of fixing the problem though. They insist that GM doesn't know how to fix it. It will be fixed in the 04 model year.

None of you guys have heard of the "problem," so I suspect it isn't a problem.

This is definitely a twilight zone situation.

JimWilson
04-21-2003, 21:21
Huh? Did I miss something?? Not shutting off your heater blew your ABS? Is that what they're trying to tell you? :eek: If so, that's beyond asinine. What's next, not turning off your radio seizes the engine?

Diesel Dave
04-21-2003, 22:05
Hey! I'm with Jim.......This sounds so bizzare that I believe the service dept. thinks because you are a woman you will believe a fairy tale like that. I think I'd try another dealer. Don't believe everything a dealer tells you.

mdadgar
04-22-2003, 00:55
This is absolute crap. My blower is never OFF. I like a bit of breeze in the cabin, so my blower is always set to 2.

Truck starts. Truck stops. ABS works. Etc.

- Mark

a64pilot
04-22-2003, 06:56
Don't walk, run from that dealer. Document all of the nonsense they tell you and send it to GM. Let corporate handle them.
Above all, don't let them touch your truck again. They are not going to get smarter or nicer, they will always be a PITA and will ruin your enjoyment of a well built and designed vehicle.
Find a knowledgeable friendly dealer. They are out there. We have a tendancy to only hear about the bad ones. Look at how mad this fool has made you. Don't give them any more of your money.
I can assure you if these trucks had a problem of blowing ABS computers it would be addressed, GM couldn't afford the libality of knowing about such a safety issue and doing nothing about it.
Just my .02 cents

FirstDiesel
04-22-2003, 07:20
You know why this is BS?? What about the people with the automatic climate control systems. That never shuts off the blower before you turn off the truck. Ask them how come this doesn't blow out the ABS system??

johnpugh
04-22-2003, 07:26
Holy Moley Batman!!

Do they have a breeding ground for these dealers? Maggots come to mind. Can we spray for them??

I never touch my climate control except to change the temp, and my ABS still works!!

Remember, our trucks share many of the same design components with other platforms. So if there were a problem, many people would be affected, not to mention the government involvement that would happen.

My advice, tell the dealer where he can stick it and run away as fast as you can (like the gingerbread man).

Later

dmaxalliTech
04-22-2003, 07:44
I have been wrenchin in the dealer for way to long and this is gotta be the best one I have heard!!! I think they are on to something though. Maybe we should write a supplement to the owners manual. Go ask the dealer why your truck slows down when you push the brake.... :D

ask them why its stalls when you turn off the key :D
ask them why the headlights are only visable at night from inside the truck :D

As noted above, its time to find a new dealer

thechevyhdman
04-22-2003, 18:01
wilbs999 I am from Connecticut, Newtown to be exact. Give me an email and I can refer to you a certain dealership, that I deal with. If your vehicle is used in a commercial business you have the right to have it towed to any dealership you chose. Personally I think you are referring to L-B Chevrolet? They are pretty good, but I no longer use them shoot me an email And I will try to help, Bill Gmanjr96@aol.com

tonkater
04-27-2003, 13:54
Bought my 2002 DMax from Northwest Hills in Torrington. I hope thats not the dealer your having problems with.
At 25,000 miles they have yet to see my truck for service , although I do have a few warrantee items that need taken care of.
So far lopey idle , warped front brake rotors ,
a rear seatbelt that won't latch , and alt seems to have a voltage stumble.
I believe despite switch position blower motor is always on.

tonkater
04-27-2003, 14:18
BTW, the dealership in Kent Town and Country Chevy does my oil changes and they always go a 3,000 mile interval. Yes , I know the manual say longer , but if you read the "fine print" 3,000 miles is probrably best. I changed the oil in my 88 6.2 ext cab every 3,000 and with 500,000 miles on it , I needn't say more.

a5150nut
04-27-2003, 15:22
Ask that dealer if he can shim up the muffler bearings, I think I can hear them rattle from here!

GMC-2002-Dmax
04-27-2003, 17:25
wilbs999,

Hey, I never shut my blower off either. Tell the dealer that you want to drive another one for a week just to prove to yourself that they are right and you are wrong :eek: :eek: .

Then if the "OTHER" truck they lend you does it then you can tell them GM omitted that fact in the owners manual when they printed it,they should print an addendum to it and give you the first copy, in fact why don't you tell them that the salesman did not tell you about it during your delivery.

I think you should go as far as to notify your local newspaper so that the public knows this as well.

I beleive that all GM vehicles using that blower and ABS computer should also have a addendum to their manual as well.

One last thing, tell him that if the guy had just tightened the blower motor screws with his left handed socket and not used his right handed socket that day it might have not happened.

GMC ;)

Let us know, in fact you should print all our comments and give it to the service manager on your next visit, give him some real info to go on :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

EWC
04-27-2003, 18:25
Let me see if I get this right . Truck comes off the assembly line , under it's own power , and gets parked in a lot until shipped to the dealer . Loaded onto a truck or train and off to the dealer or train depot . Unloaded at the depot or the dealer and put on the back lot . Brought into the shop for a PDI and then back to the wash rack . Now it's put out on the front lot or sold to a customer . Maybe it's not sold right away and is taken for a few test rides . How many times has this truck been turned off before it even leaves the dealership ? Where are the work orders for the ABS

EWC
04-27-2003, 18:35
Sorry about that ! Anyway , work orders for all the ECM's for the ABS system . When I was at Chevy , you would charge back to Chevy anything the new cars needed for the PDI . What they are telling you is that they had to put in , what , 8-10 ECM's just for the one truck ? I don't think so Tim . Go out on the lot and see if they have another truck sitting there and start and stop it and see what they have to say . Nope , not buying this one .

LanceW
05-01-2003, 08:33
hey, "pit bull", any news? Have been following this, wondering how it's going.

I HATE it when they do this. Keep on them, and name names if you have to. I don't know what's wrong with your truck, but I DO have an opinion about your service rep.

They (Saturn, actually) did the same thing to my girlfriend's 72 year old Aunt over an A/C problem (charged it 3 years in a row, then put in a new compressor and said it wasn't covered). Two months of runaround, then her neighbor (a lawyer) wrote one letter and poof, everything was solved. His opinion was that the dealer just didn't want to admit to GM that their heads were up their exhaust manifolds for three years. Don't know if that's the way to go for you, but it woke somebody up in her case.

Keep us posted- good luck. Don't let 'em off the hook.

Allison Jettester
05-01-2003, 12:48
Has anybody noticed this person's user name? Wil BS 999? Signed Sharon to maybe BS us in thinking they are female? C'mon guys. I don't think any dealership mechanic is that stupid.

conradv
05-01-2003, 13:20
If it IS a BS post, someone paid $20 for it (to join & post to TDP)...

[ 05-01-2003: Message edited by: conradv ]</p>