PDA

View Full Version : Lube fittings on 4X4

Bill Knieper
04-22-2003, 19:52
I just lubed the truck for the first time and looked for the 11 fittings discribed in threads on this site. I found all of them except the lower ball joints where there does not seem to be zerk fittings. I am wondering if the lower ball joints have fittings on the 2wheel drives, and they are sealed on the 4x4?
Also, it sure is hard to reach the idler arm on the 4x4 with skid plates. Does any one have a suggestion.
Thanks

huntindog
04-22-2003, 20:07
I also had a hard time with those.
Turn the wheels all the way to the right, then look at the driver side ball joint from above, and behind the tire. reverse for the pass. side.
They are tricky little devils!

Modified
04-22-2003, 20:23
My truck has the lower ball joint zerks accessible from behind the front wheel, above lower control arm, and below the wheel drive shaft.
I haven't tried yet, but on my last greasing, it seemed that I should grease the truck every 6K miles, when I rotate the tires. With the front tires off, we should be able to reach the two idler arms zerks through the wheel well rather easily. The two upper and two lower ball joint, and two inner and two outer tie rod zerks will all be easily accessible at this time. I thought the pittman arm was the hardest, but not the worst.

I own a 2002 four-wheel drive with skid plates.

ccds
04-23-2003, 05:32
take a look at my pictures, I have one album there with pic's of all the zerks.

hope this helps

smile.gif