PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler vented through the hood

rwcopter
08-06-2005, 12:18
What I'm reading about these intercooler for the turbo charger looks good to me. My problem with my 4 X 4 below the radiator I will put a hole in it. In front of the radiator. I add more heat to a already hot engine, behind I heat up the intercooler. So has any one vented or modify the hood to take clean air. As hot as it get under the hood I think maybe vent it would help any way. In the 50's you seen a lot of vents, scoopes,etc in the hood.

JeepSJ
08-06-2005, 22:21
A buddy of mine had a T-Bird Turbo Coupe back in the 80's and it had a hood scoop that routed air through the intercooler. I think the Subaru WRX does that as well. Their intercoolers are much smaller than ours, though.

DA BIG ONE
08-07-2005, 02:56
I have had my IC mounted under my burb for awhile now, it's hit small things off trail w/o anything other than bent fins that are easy to straighten. Stones, twigs, and other crap gets in there on occasion so cleaning is a must.

From what I have read here in this forum a little more heat from IC is not going to even cause the 6.5 to miss a beat, as would be the case w/o IC and modding for more tq/hp would!

Best mounting point for air to air IC has always been facing forward infront of everything, but chevy/gm grills prevent this so other mounting options are used, or dreamed up as time passes.

Also, remember off road you usually go so slow that the IC is useless as t_ts on a bull, unless of course, you have some bad ass pulling fans installed behind it for cooling IC at slow speeds.

You, can make some type of skid plate/grill assembly for under the truck mounting option, even vent your hood at it's back edge by adding washers to the hood mounting bolts thereby raising the hoods rear edge enough for major venting of heat. A small reverse scoop on the back passenger side of your hood just behind the turbine will work too.

Turbine Doc
08-11-2005, 18:18
RWC ditto on IC under bumper, though some will say it's at risk check link in my sig, photos of a Kennedy IC kit it's lots tougher than one would think

DA BIG ONE
08-14-2005, 06:50
Originally posted by tbogemirep:
RWC ditto on IC under bumper, though some will say it's at risk check link in my sig, photos of a Kennedy IC kit it's lots tougher than one would think I checked out your IC install, great! I/m thinking of installing some kind of air dam for my IC to aid in cooling at speed.

(WARNING: OFF TOPIC)
Your front plate is nice too. I fly the Bonnie Blue high above my property. I find most morons who claim the battle flag is a symbol of hate do not know what the constitution is. Reminds me of the young man here in Palm Beach who was asked to make a sentence with the word "constitution", he paused for awhile, scratched his head then said, "I was constitution for three days and finally went this morning"!

Aryeh Levy
08-14-2005, 10:56
Intercooler under/on top of hood sounds like a fun place for it. My friends auto shop wants me to take the intercooler off a 'rig and put it in front of my grille. Sounds like the most fun place for it. I'd have to get something custom / Grill/ Brush guard fabricated to cover it securely, but it seems like a safer place than under skid plate. Do you guys think such a thing would be feasable/ or would i have to move my front bumper up/make a custom big bumper