PDA

View Full Version : Windshield cracks while truck is in for warranty work - they say I have to pay to fix

c5dura
10-01-2004, 04:45
Ok, there was a small star in the windshield from where a rock hit it about a year or so ago. But there was no crack at all. In fact, the same dealer inspected the truck just last week, so they know there wasn't a crack in it then.

So yesterday I go to pick up the truck for the night (they still weren't done with the warranty work, but I needed to haul some lumber), I immediately notice this huge crack, and turn right around and roll up to the service advisor. He tells me to talk to the body shop since they had the truck last (fixing center top marker light water leak). He states the crack was there when he pulled the truck around from the lot. At this point I just leave since I have to pick up the lumber before the yard closes.

Anyway, I drop the truck off again this morning and discuss the situation with the service manager. He states that since there already was a rock chip, it was inevitable that it was going to run sooner or later and that I should have had the chip fixed right after it happended. I seem to recall reading here and elsewhere that one is better of NOT repairing rock chips.

Anyway, my feeling is that the run took place on their watch, and that they should be responsible for fixing it. There was nothing but a chip when I left the truck with them, and the whole windshield is cracked when I come to pick it up.

Do I have a legal leg to stand on here, or do I just drive it around with a cracked windshield until my next state inspection and then caugh up $600 for a new windshield?

KenZ
10-01-2004, 05:18
I would say just get it fixed yourself. If you had the chip, I don't think there is much you can say. Comprehensive on your insurance should cover it. I have $100.00 ded. for comprehensive and if you look for these coupons in the phone book and paper and mail, a lot of these companies will do it for 50-100 off. We just got one for a van and it only cost us $50.00. I don't know how they can reduce your deductable amount, but they do it some way.

Go Cavaliers!!! 1978 Eng School.

c5dura
10-01-2004, 06:01
The thing is that my deductible is $1000, so I'm better off not getting them involved with this. Oh well, I'll probably just drive it like it is for at least the next year. Cops around here have better things to do that pull over drivers with expired inspection stickers. The sticker on my C5 is 11 months past due and I drive past cops all the time...

Anyway, I guess I can see that since the chip was already on the windshield, the fact that the whole thing cracked while sitting on their lot wasn't really their fault. I just find it amazing that after all the driving on rough roads that I've done in this truck since the stone chip, the windshield would crack while sitting on the dealers lot...

(VA Tech grad, but living in UVa territory ;) )

c5dura
10-01-2004, 06:31
Well, what do you know. I spoke to my insurance agent, and as it turns out, cracked windshields are replaced with no cost to me, despite me having a $1000 deductible. And it carries a lifetime warranty. smile.gif smile.gif

I just hope the job will look at good as the factory job. I had a windshield replaced in an Infinity before, and the chrome trim on the outside never quite fit right and the epoxy was showing between the A-pillar and new windshield.

c5dura
10-01-2004, 07:36
I knew it was too good to be true. Turns out that only repairs are covered without me having to pay for it. Replacing the entire windshield would be something I would have to pay for.

The insurance agent gave me a quote of $196.36 for someone to come out and do it in the parking lot of my place of work. The dealer quoted me $600. I'm very skeptical that the $200 job "under the tree" will be as good as having the job done at the dealer for 3 times the cost...

KenZ
10-01-2004, 09:40
A Hokie in Wahoo territory!! Now we know why it got cracked. You must have had one of those turkey stickers on your bumper. LOL

On a serious note, check out the coupons in the yellow pages or val pak. I have had a lot of windshields replaced in my driveway. Most of those guys to a good job. I'm sure they do a lot more windshields than the dealership. thats their primary business. I bet you can get the cost down to $100.00 with a coupon.

Good luck

Ken

Xmas1
10-02-2004, 15:54
Ask your dealer if they do it or if they have another company come in and do it for them. I've had two replaced within the last year by shops that do it in the driveway with no problems. Even the body shop that replaced the windshield had a company come in to replace it. There's not a lot of places around me that do glass, most outsource the work.

DuckhunterInTN
10-04-2004, 10:33
They could have put their hand on the windshield while fixing the leak in the roof light, thus putting pressure on the windshield and causing it to crack. :confused: :confused:

Either way, I would not pay $600 for a windshield. The "under the tree" guys do just fine, and if you are still worried then many of the same people who do it "under the tree" also have shops so just take it there if it would make you feel better.

More than likely, if you were to pay $600 for a new windshield then you could sit at the dealership and watch the same "under the tree" fella pull up and replace your windshield... :D

c5dura
10-05-2004, 05:18
Thanks guys. Since the truck was just inspected, I'm good to go for another year unless the crack gets larger.

You're probably right that having it done by someone that does this kind of thing all the time will be better than having it done at the dealer. Looking in the yellow pages, I have about 8 guys that serve the local area, so I'll check with them.

D-max Man
10-19-2004, 13:28
When I was much younger, I used to manage a service station. While I was there a customers car was broken into and it was damaged pretty badly. Sense the car had been repaired and the customer was notified over 24 hours before the break in. I told him that we were not responsible for the "damages beyond our control" as stated in the small print just above his signature on the repair order.
As you can imagine, he was not happy with that response and he took us to court for the repairs.

The Judge ruled that we had to pay for it because "when we took possession of his car, we are responsible to return it in as good or better condition than when it was received" and that "the small print does not hold up in court".