PDA

View Full Version : Truck in accident. Dealer wants to replace entire frame!!! Help

Cliffee
10-15-2004, 15:48
Last week I was hit by a voltswagen Beetle doing about 40 mph. I just found out that the frame is bent beyond repair and the dealers body shop wants to replace the entire frame. That means move everything from the truck over to the new frame. They estimate 3-4 months repair time. My response was you gotta be kidding. Can they really by serious? Most of the time they can't even replace one thing correctly. Now their telling me they want to do something like this. I want it totaled. We haven't heard from Farmers Insurance yet and I'm hoping they will also total it.
Anyone else ever have this happen to them?

[ 10-15-2004, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Cliffee ]

Paintdude
10-15-2004, 17:30
Find a better shop..You do not have to have the dealer fix it. Go hunting for the best repair shop in the area. It is YOUR truck...

96ccdd
10-16-2004, 03:43
I had a F-250 back in 92 that was hit, it was less than 6 months old. They replaced the frame and I was very pleased it was as good as new. This will depend on the shop doing the work.

Mark

chetp
10-16-2004, 20:16
I think the results will be based on how "good" the
dealer's techs are. The frame was replaced on my
2001 2500HD, and there have been zero problems.
I'm sure you feel like I did, not real happy about it. The SM said "no big deal" and the end result
was good, so I guess he was right. This was 10k
ago.

Cliffee
10-16-2004, 21:49
Thanks for the positive responses. Now it all comes down to Farmers Insurance. The shop its at has been good so far and reccommended highly. Still the thought makes me very uneasy. The estimate was 3 months. How long did they take for your replacement?

letsgo
10-17-2004, 04:44
They will only work on this truck in their spare time, get the labor brake down to see how many hour for the job, and does this include a free truck?

good luck

JoeyD
10-17-2004, 09:15
I would bet the repair time on the frame replace is around 50hrs. In a well equiped shop it would be very easy to do just takes time.
There must be other damage front end or rear end so the time will increase for that but 3-4 months is crazy. Tell them they have 4 weeks and make them sign a contract with a penelty for non completion.

TSimpler
10-17-2004, 15:54
Hows the bug???

Trent

Cliffee
10-17-2004, 17:24
The Bug had less damage than me. He hit me in the front right tire/rim.

HDV-rod
10-18-2004, 02:31
I remember a time when trucks were stonger than the cars......

TSimpler
10-18-2004, 05:38
Let me get this right.

You got into a wreck with a bug and LOST???
How does that happen...

I got into a wreck in my 93 GMC and totaled the other car. I was able to drive home without any trouble.

Trent

Cliffee
10-18-2004, 06:19
I was at an intersection. The light turned Green for me and the Bug didn't stop fro his red/yellow. He hit me doing between 30-40 mph in the front right tire area. The dealer says that these trucks now have crumple zones and are designed to do this. If not, the occupants would take the damage. I to agree, they just don't make em the same. Everything is thinner and cheaper. Oh well.

mark45678
10-18-2004, 06:59
Cliffee I have done a frame swap on a GM and A Dodge... the dodge took almost 4 months to get a frame! the GM was into the dealer the week after it was ordered! You are FAR better off replacing it at least when it goes in to get a front end alinment done It will be right! Me and a buddy with a small 2 bay shop did the frame swap in just over 120 hours.... the 1 frame in each bay with a lift.... pull the cab off and the bed, swap all the running gear frame to frame then move the new frame into the bay where the cab is and set it back on....... Its not as hard as it sounds! We put the P/U bed out side on a car trailer for the week, lifted it with 6 guys (8' bed) .... I would get the fram ordered and find a shop that will do it in less then a month, the longer it takes the more problems they will have! I would have a mechanic do it not the body guys! :eek:

rjwest
10-18-2004, 14:06
I ran a 3000 lb truck camper on a 93 1/2 ton chev
for 200k mile.

Same camper on a 96 K3500, doors don't close .

Yea, the " new newer trucks are stronger "
BULL, I think from 96 on GM has cut costs and quality ,

Did a Beatle in with my 73 C10, I needed a bumper,
He went to junk yard, But driver wasn't hurt.
Tuff little Buggers...

DeepVee
10-18-2004, 15:15
Good Luck!!!

I went through this a little over a year ago in Flagstaff. Our problem is that the insurance companies are very reluctant to total these trucks due to the high $$$ values they hold here out west.

Here's the old posts on our accident. :(

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=005002

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=005251#000000

Long story short, my truck was hit very hard in the front resulting in a bent frame. The insurance co. said truck was worth $28K with an original repair estimate was $14K. The insurance co. and I decided to repair the truck. The total cost exceeded $18K and I'm reluctantly still driving the truck today, fortunately with no problems. I really would have preffered to have a new frame instead of straightening my old one, but it was never an option.

I'd be happy to talk with you if you'd like. Send me an email with your phone number if interested.

firstvee@yahoo.com

I would not let anyone else other than a GM dealer fix your truck. Mine was repaired at a Chevy dealer and every single new part that went on the truck was from GM, no import or crap parts.

Cliffee
10-18-2004, 18:54
Heard from Insurance today and I think they are leaving the choice up to me. Because of these wonderful responses I'm feeling a little more confident about a frame swap. I spoke to another Chevrolet shop today and they have done several of them. They estimate 3-4 weeks. That's more like it. I went today and checked out the 05's. Maybe its just me but the large hood does not appeal to me like th 02's did. The invoice price has also gone up about 4k since I purchased my 03. I personally don't think its worth it. ****, when I purchased the 03 I felt I was going insane. I'm plenty happy with my 03 although the new engine would be nice! I'm going to wait and see what Farmers offers for totaling it. I'll decide then. Kelly Blue book has it going for 35-38k. Somehow that seems high.

c5dura
10-19-2004, 08:21
Cliffee,

Sorry to hear about your accident. If you go with a new truck, would you mind sending your new steeing box w/pitman arm to my dealer when it comes in? :D :D

Cliffee
10-19-2004, 10:25
c5Dura,

I'm still waiting for it. If the truck is indeed totaled I won't have any control over anything like that. They will most definately cancel the order of it.

Sorry.

c5dura
10-19-2004, 12:34
Cliffee, I was joking about the gear box. ;) I do have a dilemma in that my warranty is up in 800 miles, and while the dealer is willing to order me a new gearbox, they keep coming up with the same part number as the replacement they just installed. So unless I can provide them with the new part number or some other proof of the existance of a new design before my warranty is up, I'm stuck with my current unit. Any info you could throw my way would be most appreciated.

Cliffee
10-19-2004, 16:55
I will ask my service manager for that part#.

Cliffee
10-20-2004, 20:23
Truck was totaled today by Farmers. Looks like I'll be getting an 05.

Thanks again for all the responses!!

c5dura
10-22-2004, 08:33
Congrats on the insurance deciding on getting you a new truck. I think that will work out best in the long run and should get you back on the road quickly.

Also, I really appreciate you getting me that part number for the new steering gear!

Cliffee
10-22-2004, 20:46
I spoke to the Manager at Lou grubb Chevrolet today. He said the gearbox part # is the same as its always been. They way you know you have a new, not refurb is it should include the Pitman arm as well. he said when they order them its not known until they open each box.

Good Luck!

Cliffee
10-22-2004, 20:50
I went today and put a deposit on a new 2005 Lt Crew Cab. Fleet gave it to me at invoice. I took it for a spin also. Things I noticed right away were the engine definately had more pep than my 03 and it was quiter. The new grill and big hood are awesome!! Its starting to grow on me! I can't wait to take it home.

[ 10-25-2004, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Cliffee ]

c5dura
10-26-2004, 06:17
Good luck with your new '05 Cliffee!

Are you using Lou Grubb Chevrolet in Peoria (Arrowhead) or Phoenix (Camelback)? And do you happen to have the name of the manager?

Thanks so much!

Cliffee
10-26-2004, 15:30
Ive been using Lou Grubb Camelback. The manager is Gill Waters.
Ive been very happy with him and that dealership overall.
Regards.

c5dura
10-27-2004, 04:27
Thanks Cliffee, I'll have my dealer call them so that Gill can explain the situation to them.

Cliffee
11-02-2004, 19:41
Well, I picked up my 05 yesterday. So far I love it. Differences from the 03 are XM, LLY. LLY is noticably quiter and smoother.

Thanks for all the excellent/helpful replies!!!