PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheel removal

norskeman
10-24-2004, 17:22
Tried to rotate my tires but I can't get the rear wheels off. They seem to be seized on the hub.

Any suggestions.

Chris N5CWM
10-24-2004, 17:56
Sounds like dissimilar metals corrosion. The aluminum wheel and steel axle flange have stuck together. Try spraying some penetrating oil (WD40 or similar) and try again in a day or two.
Also try kicking the sidewall of the tire when the truck is jacked up and lug nuts are loose to pop it free. Give it a kick like you would to kick down a door, not a 'kick in the shins' kick.
;)

Ranger354
10-24-2004, 23:08
Make sure it is supported corretly before you go kicking the dog $hit out of it though. Don't want to kick it off the jack!

TSimpler
10-25-2004, 05:20
I had the same problem.

What I had to do was use a socket wrench with a 4 foot breaker bar. My impact wrench would not move about 4 bolts.

I am not a little guy and if I had trouble I am really shocked that more people have not had the same problem.

Trent

jbplock
10-25-2004, 07:31
This is a common problem... The first time I removed my rear wheels I had to tap the inside of the rim with a hammer. I used a block of wood to protect the rim. The lug nuts came off OK but the Rim was stuck on the hub. I coated the inside of the rim and hub with anti-seeze and it comes off easy now.
smile.gif

EWC
10-25-2004, 13:05
You might laugh but loosen the nuts a turn or so and drive around in a circle . The wheels will have enough slack to loosen but not cause problems .

norskeman
11-07-2004, 14:15
Recommendations of jbplock worked.

Was now able to rotate tires.