PDA

View Full Version : On the fence for 6.2/6.5 swap...convince me

DUKE22AJ
02-08-2005, 12:09
I have a 87' 3/4 4X4 Burb with a 350. I bought it right and it is in remarkably good condition. It has the 14 bolt rear and the 3 speed auto. So far I am very happy, the 350 has got about 75K since rebuild. I am waiting for it to give up. When it does, I am thinking of putting a diesel it.

I have heard the good the bad and the ugly on this issue. I would probably buy a front-end off of a salvage truck that had a diesel 6.2 to make the swap as easy as possible. Then i would plan on getting the Banks Turbo kit on it with oil and tranny coolers.

Is this a good plan, what would be the ideal build up on this project and in the end would I have the HP and torque needed to push my Burb around? This is my daily driver and it does some time off road as well. I don't want to have gobs of HP, but I would like more power than the stock 350 and I don't want to buy the gas for a 454. Can the diesel give me what I need?

Colorado Kid
02-09-2005, 11:05
I would like more power than the stock 350 and I don't want to buy the gas for a 454. Can the diesel give me what I need? [/QB]Since you asked: Yes, the diesel can be built to make more power than the stock 350, but by the time it is built to do it with some reliability and durability it will be WAY beyond the price of a stock or mild 454. The difference will buy a lot of gas.

That's my opinion. Anybody else want to share theirs?

NH2112
02-09-2005, 14:43
Well, I wouldn't say a 200-225HP 6.2l would cost WAY more than a mild 454, and that would give you a little more seat-of-the-pants power than an EFI 350. You could piece together a turbo from eBay, a set of high-pop injectors and a recalibrated injector pump, and probably not have much over $1000 invested.

Craig M
02-09-2005, 15:12
The diesel transplant would give you great mileage and longevity. I would not expect to see much gain in power compared to what you have. If you plan to keep the Suburban for a long time, and put lots of miles on her, than the diesel swap can figure. If you just want power, or plan to sell the vehicle after a while than a hot 350 or mild 454 would be better. My 82 Suburban gets 22 mpg on the freeway. No 350 or 454 can get close to that. Your transmsission and rear end may not allow you to get that good a mileage, but it is possible.

mhagie
03-05-2005, 14:48
Gas or diesel your call, All I can say is stay away from a 400 small block in any size configuration they are just too prone to heat under load.
The most popular unit around here is a 383 small block (350 block 400 crank) the farmers that use these say they pull hard.
With diesel around here running 22 cents higher per gallon than gas at the pump the diesel advantage is squat. :mad: ..........Merle