PDA

View Full Version : Suburban Doow hinges, replacement?

GMC Hauler
12-03-2003, 12:12
i have noticed that my passenger door on my 1996 suburban is sagging a little. It is not aligned as it used to be. It is even dragging in the striker bold a little. I looked in my service manual, and all they talk about is replacing the hinges. So i took off the interior trim and to my dismay, the hinges are welded on. So i cant adjust them. I think the slack may be in the door hinge pin bushings. Anyone have any experience with this? Can you replace the bushings or the pin and bushings and not the hinges? Thanks

Paintdude
12-03-2003, 18:58
Pins and bushing are a common problem and easy fixed. Most any body shop should be able to fix it for you at a reasonable cost. 100 dollars per door maybe.

MikeC
12-13-2003, 21:24
You can buy the repair kit for the hinges at Auto Zone or Advanced in with the "help" parts. I'm sure others have them also.

The hardest part is the spring. The are special tools or you can compress it in a vise, wire it, insert it and then cut the wire.

If you are a member, go to member's section and do a search, there are hinge postings there.

Mike

Oh yea, parts are about $10 a door. mc

tanker
12-27-2003, 06:20
My drivers side barn door is stiff to open and close. Lubrication does not help all that much. So I guess I'm in for replacement pins/bushings and looks like a paint job or rust will appear afterward. Looks like grinding the pin heads and driving them out with a pin punch or special tool.