PDA

View Full Version : Help, my truck is rusting away! Advice please?

dieselbegreat
12-04-2003, 12:39
I drove my truck recently which had been sitting for a while and my brake line running to the rear rusted out and my trans cooler lines rusted out too. No more Pennsylvania vehicles for me, EVER! :mad: I asked somebody to replace the rusted out stuff and they said they were afraid to put it on their lift because some of the body mounts are rusted out too and I'll have to find a guy with ramps instead. (I didn't think it was that bad personally.)

What can be done about the body mounts/cusions? The guy said that if he tries to replace them, they'll probably rip out and then there is nothing that can be done! :(

I need this truck one more winter at least.

mhagie
12-04-2003, 19:08
You basicly have two choices either ignore it or be prepared to spend some serious money,
There is an outfit here in Iowa that specializes in rust free bodys I know they have a bunch of sub tubs as they call them.
If by chance you are interested let me know and I can give you the info.
Merle

NH2112
12-05-2003, 03:14
I don't see why the guy was afraid to put the truck on his lift, unless he'd be lifting it by the body :eek: there's nothing to worry about. Replacement cab mounts are available from www.lmctruck.com (http://www.lmctruck.com) you need a catalog to order online) and can be welded in. Then it's just a matter of buying the rubber bushings and ensuring the mounting area of the cab floor is solid enough to bear the weight. The rubber bushings can be removed by hitting the bolts with an impact gun since the bolts go into nuts welded to the cab. If these loosen up and the bolts just spin, you'll need to cut holes in the floor with a hole saw so you can hold the nuts with a ratchet & socket while someone zips the bolts out.

Paintdude
12-05-2003, 05:20
What Phil said or just drive it. Problem with bad cab mounts is, they can be very dangerous if you are ever in a accident. Body coming off of the chassis is not good in a accident. chances are it would not cause a serious problem, but you never know. Plus finding someone to do rust repair is very difficult anymore. Good Luck.

dieselbegreat
12-06-2003, 07:44
Thanks for your replies. The info will help me decide what to do.

I think the last fellow just didn't want to be the last one to touch it if something breaks again. I may have to use a guy I know who "works out of his barn" and will do most anything for cash. There are always alternatives if you search enough. Thanks again.

tom.mcinerney
02-04-2004, 07:20
Be aware of need to rinse salt residue from components before painting. A good routine is 1.) wash with tap water with a tiny bit of soap/detergent. Then rinse tap water, plenty volume. Then final rinse, brush on distilled water.
Salt residue initiates new round corrosion whenever air is humid....

C.K. Piquup
02-23-2004, 04:46
Sound`s like you just ran into a"Gravytrain"mechanic.If it was that bad the doors wouldn`t open/close right.Don`t give him any more bussiness.I had same thought.Was he going to lift it by the body?Never seen a lift like that.Gravity is the same everywhere on Earth.Fix the lines and just drive it.How`s the frame?If I decide to swap a body onto my`Burb`I`ll let you know.I toy with thoughts like that from time to time.It`s a`91,was Zeibarted,no rust yet.We`d have to replace it with something simular first.