PDA

View Full Version : Broken shock mount

Ryan Colley
03-14-2005, 05:49
Anyone ever broken a rear shock mount on a C/K pickup? Mine has broken right off the frame (drivers side) completely rusted out. Any ideas where to find a replacement mount?

More Power
03-17-2005, 10:18
If you're talking about the shock mount stud that bolts to the 80's frame, some shock kits come with new studs. If not, you should be able to buy a replacement at your dealer.

MP

Ryan Colley
03-17-2005, 12:01
MP - thanks for your reply. I'm talking about the actual "bracket" that is riveted/welded to the frame, it has broken right off. Dealers don't seem to stock it, they have it on the parts diagrams but it is shaded grey, and apparently not available. I guess GM thought they would never break :eek:

LMC truck doesn't seem to have anything either...

I've talked to a few wreckers and they are pretty much unwilling to go to all the work of grinding the bracket off the frame for me. I even offerred to do the work myself but they dont seem to be interested.

My latest thought was to steal the upper bracket off an old S-10 p/u I have sitting in the yard, and just make it fit :confused: :confused: :confused:

More Power
03-17-2005, 19:50
After having done more fabricating than I really wanted to for Lil Red, I've learned that it isn't really all that bad. Buy a piece of sheet steel of the appropriate thickness, then make a new bracket. Most sheet metal shops have stock on hand.

MP

Ryan Colley
03-21-2005, 11:33
Thanks Jim, my dad found a piece of 1/4" stock, cut it to fit the frame and it bolted right up! Looks better than GM ever designed too :D

cheers