PDA

View Full Version : Removing front rotors?

spectrum
04-02-2005, 12:44
I'm trying to replace the front rotors on my 1991 GMC Suburban 1500 4x4, but can't get the rotor/hub to slide off the axle. The calipers are removed, but nothing will budge. Shouldn't it just pull off?

NH2112
04-02-2005, 16:13
It may be a dumb question, but have you removed the locking hub and wheel bearing adjuster nut and locknut? After doing this it should slide off, or it might take a bit of persuasion with a rubber mallet because sometimes the bearings stick to the spindle. The rotors are underneath the hubs, with the wheel studs going through the rotors first then into the hubs.

spectrum
04-04-2005, 05:35
Yep, it's sometimes the simple stuff that gets me...

I discovered I needed a hub socket to remove the internals of the automatic-engaging 4x4 stuff. No probs after that.

morgan
04-18-2005, 11:28
I worked on a 89 Corvette front brake job this weekend. Rotors tend to stick to the hub with heat/moisture/rust. Take a scrap of wood, place it flat against the rotor wear area, and give it a medium whack with a hammer, now rotate and do it again and again until you break up that thin layer of rust that is bonding it to the hub. Viola! it'll fall off after a few whacks.

good luck