PDA

View Full Version : Diesel won't start!

lmchugh1
05-15-2005, 18:19
Lately when I'd start my 1983 6.2L diesel, there was a delay from the time I'd turn the key to the time the starter would spin. That eventually got worse and now when I turn the key to the start position all I get is the glow plugs cycling on and off and the dash lights turning on. Nothing else, no noise(clicks)or anything. I've replaced the ignition switch, all the battery cables, the battery and the starter(which came with a new solenoid). I'm stumped. I checked the ignition wire and I have power to the starter. Does anyone have any ideas?..Thanks.Leon McHugh. lmchugh1@verizon.net

NH2112
05-15-2005, 18:45
Have you checked the connections of the wires on the junction block slightly to the driver's side of the center of the firewall? All switched accessories get power through this. The glow plugs cycle because the ignition switch only pulls in the relay coil, but doesn't handle the large load of the glow plugs. If you investigate further, you'll probably find that all the functions that don't work go through the ignition switch (i.e., turn signals, backup lights, etc.)

zip
06-08-2005, 11:11
Didn't there used to be a thing where the oil pressure switch could cause a no start if the switch malfunctioned? Is there a switch and wires right above your oil filter? If so try a jumper across the wires to see if you can get the truck to start.

DmaxMaverick
06-08-2005, 13:14
Originally posted by zip:
Didn't there used to be a thing where the oil pressure switch could cause a no start if the switch malfunctioned? Is there a switch and wires right above your oil filter? If so try a jumper across the wires to see if you can get the truck to start. The '83 models have a mechanical lift pump. No electrical intervention.

mstone
06-08-2005, 13:19
Don't know if yours is a standard or not, but on mine there is a micro switch under the clutch that came out of alignment and would not allow my truck to start...the clutch had to be all the way and depressing the micro switch so the truck could start. Some automatics have a micro on the brake pedal as well. Worth checking.

MTTwister
06-08-2005, 16:23
Boy, I hot wire that SOB. There have been a couple of times, way back when, when I've used the starter motor to move my old jeep out of it's then current position.

Tatraplan
06-09-2005, 11:06
I've got a 1983 C20 with 6.2 diesel and 4 speed automatic transmission.

It's only possible to run the starter when the gear
lever is in the Park position, not in Neutral as
it've been on other auto's I've had. Perhaps there's
some trouble with the switch controlled by the gear
lever. The brake pedal don't have to be depressed
to run the starter.

/Robert