PDA

View Full Version : Help please - who knows brake calipers?

G. Gearloose
04-03-2004, 07:06
According to GM, a '96 diesel K1500 has different calipers than a non-diesel.

NAPA, who usually has their ducks in a row, show no record of different parts for the diesel 1500.
Their quality is mediocre, I've pushed back calipers across the counter with big divots in the piston and such. I'm not impressed.

What exactly is the difference for the diesel 1500? IS it piston diameter? Should I just ask for k2500 calipers?

Is NEW GM my only option?

thanks, in advance for your help...

[ 04-04-2004, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: G. Gearloose ]

G. Gearloose
04-04-2004, 03:08
Here's what I found..What span of model years this applies I'm not certain, but for my '96...

According to GM, a diesel K1500 should get the 80mm piston calipers, the same on the >8600 gvw K2500. The LD 2500 and non-diesel 1500 get the 75mm calipers.

Suggest there are some trucks out there that got the wrong calipers if they had non-dealer brake work.

Looks like I'm going to have a pow-wow with the napa guy, he says his computer is right 99.9% of the time.. :rolleyes:

CleviteKid
04-09-2004, 05:04
I had a problem with NAPA listing the wrong seal for the front drive axle of my Nissan Maxima. My NAPA counterman told me that NAPA has a program that gives cash rewards to NAPA employees who report a mistake in the NAPA catalog listing of parts.

Your NAPA counterman may be in line for a reward for helping NAPA correct one of its 00.01% errors.

This sounds like one more area where we have learned that the General actually knows more about the trucks he designed and built than does anyone else. OEM is sometimes the best bet.

Dr. Lee :cool:

G. Gearloose
04-09-2004, 12:42
Looks like the computer problem was isolated to somewhere between the seat and the keyboard ;)

A different parts guy saw the option code for HD brakes, so my 'diesel' inquiry just confused the other guy, who never asked me about the HD brake code. :rolleyes:

I'd bet the farm all diesels get the HD brake code by default.

Like you said, the best way to get the right part is still the general...

thanks for your interest!

NH2112
04-09-2004, 12:56
Originally posted by G. Gearloose:
Looks like the computer problem was isolated to somewhere between the seat and the keyboard ;)

There's an actual computer term for this - PICNIC. It means "Problem In Chair, Not In Computer." smile.gif

woodchuck
05-03-2004, 10:40
Phil,

I had never heard this "computer term" before. How appropriate! Thank you!