PDA

View Full Version : The "shimmy-shimmy-shake" front end

reynog
05-20-2004, 04:44
My 2000 K3500 has developed a horrible shake in the front end. From about 30 to 40MPH if you hit just the right bump (and it seeem to be getting less picky about the right bump), the steering wheel and front wheels shake back and forth. I have to slow down to make it stop. I've taken it to an alignment shop 3 times and nothing was found to be worn in the steering/suspension.

Any hints??

NH2112
05-20-2004, 14:06
Well I'd say try a new alignment shop because something is definitely wrong up there. My 85 was doing the same thing and it turned out to be a really sloppy tie rod and drag link.

BTW, I went to several different shops to have an alignment done, and while the truck tracked straight enough down the road afterward, the steering wheel wasn't centered. That is a HUGE pet peeve for me! I took it to a Sears Auto Center for tire mount/balance & alignment one time, and EVERYTHING was fixed after. The steering wheel was perfectly centered, there was absolutely no bump steer except on the roughest roads, and on all but the roughest roads I had complete control of the truck with just the tip of a finger.

[ 05-21-2004, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: NH2112 ]

Paintdude
05-21-2004, 04:23
YES, get it checked by another shop or dealer,etc..Not safe to be driving a vehicle like that, for you or others on the road..Good Luck..

C.K. Piquup
05-31-2004, 06:53
Sounds like the centerlink,it`s common to be bad @60,000mi.+/-.If left worn for long,next the tie-rod ends go.Not only stay away from that shop,advise friends and loved ones.