PDA

View Full Version : Brakes Dragging 1986 Suburban 6.2L 1/2 ton 2WD

gskurka
07-10-2005, 05:46
I replaced the rear brakes and cylinders recently and changed the fluid in the rear brake lines; also vacuum bled the system. I adjusted the ebrake cable fairly tight but the shoes didn't seem to drag excessively. The front and rear brakes were dragging yesterday (highway driving and outside temperature about 85 degrees F).

Could the problem be in the booster or should I double check my rear brake work? Could there be too much brake fluid in the master cylinder? Any suggestions are appreciated.

5.7L oldsdiesel
07-10-2005, 15:01
Did you adjust the rear brake shoes before adjusting the parking brake?It is my understanding,that the rear brake shoes should always be adjusted first before dealing with the parking brake adjustment.

Sometimes,some guys always like to measure the center to center of each shoe with a brake vernier caliper.Then you hold that adjustment and transfer it to the drum,so that you can know how much more you need to adjust the shoes.

TJ Moose
07-11-2005, 13:10
Yeah - I'd agree. I had a problem with dragging shoes on an older Chev pickup - I'd loosen up the adjuster, and that thing would just cinch them up all over again. Finally, I backed off on the e-brake linkage, and that was the fix. Its not obvious until you do it. Let the adjusters do their thing and stop taking up the slack of their own accord, then set the adjustment on the e-brake.