PDA

View Full Version : losing coolant

Phil Holmen
06-27-2005, 19:59
My truck just started losing coolant, can't find a leak, it is using like 2-3L of coolant in 1hr of running time, am I lucky enough that it will be a head gasket or is it most likely heads?? Is there any way to tell if it is heads or just a gasket?? Thanks...

DmaxMaverick
06-27-2005, 21:16
That's a pretty high consumption to be just the head. Get it off and you'll see. That high rate should be an obvious blow-out. Don't run it any longer than absolutely necessary. Too much coolant in the cylinder and it may cost you an entire engine, and there'll be no warning. Pull the head(s) and get some pic's up.

Dvldog 8793
06-28-2005, 03:58
Howdy Phil
I would check for ANY possible leak including the heating system, also get a pressure test set and get the system up to about 15-16 PSI and see if it holds. My truck would 14 psi over night but started leaking into the oil at 16-17psi. When you lose pressure, if you don't see any puddles, VERY slowly crack the oil drain plug and carefully watch for the first drop of oil to come out. in my case it wasn't oil :mad:

It sounds like I had almost identical symptoms as you and I ended up with a cracked block. Truck ran great, no smoke, no powere loss, just drank coolant. about 1 gal per 150 miles. When I was getting ready to pull my engine I thought maybe I should pull the heads first and then I check the dealer service book and they give Mr. Goodwrench only 2 more hours shop time to pull the motor compared to pulling the heads. I figure for ease and the abilty to check everything your way better to pull the motor even if your just doing the heads. Those back head bolts can be a bear to torque properly with the motor in place. and it's much easier on your back to work over and engine stand rather than the truck fender! :D
Hope this helps!
L8r
Conley
USMC87-93

Marty Lau
06-29-2005, 09:03
Phil;

You might try tighting up the clamps on your hoses. I had a leak 2 weeks ago and it was coming out of that molded heater hose connection turned out that some how the hose clamps were very lose and I know they were tight when I changed them, any ways I tighted all the clamps and all were a little lose.

bbudus
06-29-2005, 12:27
Fill it up the let it idle and check to see if you are losing it from the overflow. Mine was doing the same thing, one day i was talking to a friend while truck was idling and low and behold all my coolant was blowing out the overflow. Lost a head gasket just enough that the cylinder was pressurizing the system.

I got lazy and now have a new engine because of it. Fix it while you still can!!

Bbudus

Phil Holmen
06-29-2005, 19:48
Truck is now parked until i can get time to tear it down, i defected from GM's CR@P and bought a cummins. This motor is only 3 years old, all the cooling upgrades, 2001 block, oversize oil cooler and an intercooler installed behind the grill but not hooked up yet...

ron engele
07-04-2005, 17:38
sounds like the same problem mine had. u may want to check and see if you have a white puff of smoke that comes out when u first start up. that's what told me i had a blown head gasket. i'm still in the process of tearin mine down.