PDA

View Full Version : push rod sucked into engine

screws
07-19-2005, 08:52
Has anyone experienced this problem. I have a '93 6.5 TD that I just rebuilt about 25k ago. About a week ago I had one of my nylon rocker arm retainer buttons break off which resulted in a loose rocker arm and push rod rattling around in my head. The push rod found it's way down through an oil journal into the engine, which proceded to chew it up. It looks like I will have to pull a couple of pistons to get the push rod out. My question is this: if there is no damage to the pistons, etc. can I just re-install the piston with the old rings and reuse the connecting rod bearings?

TJ Moose
07-19-2005, 09:21
I don't know how a topic gets redirected - you might have a larger response if you pose this question over on the 6.5 TD board. Just a thought. And I haven't had this happen, thank goodness (sorry you did) so don't have any practical advice to offer on this.

5.7L oldsdiesel
07-20-2005, 04:00
Don't you just hate those plastic retainers?Terrible for sure.When you get your engine buttoned up,i'd use a rocker arm setup from the early 80's 6.2 diesel.1982-1984 does not use those plastic buttons.Alot safer with that route.

MTTwister
07-20-2005, 10:57
Hey Screwed ( I mean Screws ) smile.gif Sounds Really flukey!
I would think the rod would have gotten beat up up above ( valve train) and then worked it's way down the oil return passages to the bottom end.
Bet that was a heck of a noise.

Can you collect enough pieces to make sure that no "filings' are floating around the oiling passages? If you can extract the "complete" rod, you could check the connecting rod bearing and surfaces for potential damage, check the pistons, bores for any scouring, cross your fingers and re-use the parts.

If it looks like you have any metal filings floating in the oil - this could lead to other issues with other bearings, so then... figuring out how to sterilize the engine would be way beyond me.

Edit - may be a decision to be made prior to a few brews, if ya know what I mean. ;)

screws
07-22-2005, 09:18
Well, I got the push rod out. The #1 piston skirt is what bent up the rod which now looks like a curly-cue (SP). Every time the piston came down it bent the push rod which then fell in a little deeper. So it just curled it up. Not a lot of damage to the piston, just a few little nicks on the inside of the skirt.