PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Play

ZZ
08-07-2004, 16:06
My steering wheel on my '90 GMC started having a lot of play the other day. It is where the column tilts. Someone told me that there is a bearing there and they do go bad at times.

Would it be easier to change the whole column or get the bearing replaced?

mrerk
08-08-2004, 11:37
This used to be a pretty common problem with GM tilt columns. What the problem probably is is the bolts that hold the upper column shroud to the lower bowl back out. I've usually just taken the column apart, put some blue loctite on the bolts, and reassemble. Someone who has done them before can usually do it in a couple of hours.

ZZ
08-08-2004, 21:16
Thanks for the response. I'm going to see if I can get it done at a shop before I try it. I haven't ever been able to them back together just right.

ZZ
08-09-2004, 13:37
I found a shop that is going to fix the column tomorrow for $35.

Another guy felt of it and said it felt like something was broke. God, I hope not!!!!

NH2112
08-09-2004, 17:29
I got tired of fixing mine so I just found a straight column and put that in instead. I think it was the time I was turning a corner and lost all power due to slop in the column that decided it for me - the engine died and wouldn't re-start till I wiggled the upper part of the column.

ZZ
08-09-2004, 20:10
I'm going to ask the mechanic to put some blue Locktite on the bolts. Maybe it'll hold.

ZZ
08-22-2004, 21:37
It was the bolts after all. They'd worked loose. He put the lock tite on them. Wound up costing me $30 to get it fixed