PDA

View Full Version : Servicing bearings-full floating

packmaster2r
09-20-2005, 14:39
I have a 1998 2500HD with full floating rear axle. The double roller rear wheel bearings are lubed by the differential oil.

Should these also be packed with grease when servicing ? My "aftermarket" (Haynes) service manual says yes, but this seems uneccessary since the bearings are constantly immmersed in fluid. I can't see any grease in them now, though I suppose it may have washed out since the last brake job.

I don't have a GM manual and would sleep better if I new for sure !

-Eric/packmaster2r

DA BIG ONE
09-22-2005, 03:00
Originally posted by packmaster2r:
I have a 1998 2500HD with full floating rear axle. The double roller rear wheel bearings are lubed by the differential oil.

Should these also be packed with grease when servicing ? My "aftermarket" (Haynes) service manual says yes, but this seems uneccessary since the bearings are constantly immmersed in fluid. I can't see any grease in them now, though I suppose it may have washed out since the last brake job.

I don't have a GM manual and would sleep better if I new for sure !

-Eric/packmaster2r Go here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/index.html

Kennedy
09-22-2005, 06:29
I don't grease mine, but I do make sure and tip the axle so that oil distributes to each end prior to driving...

packmaster2r
09-22-2005, 13:29
Thanks, I appreciate your input. Always nice to have real world experience when in doubt.

Eric

redbird2
09-30-2005, 03:39
I changed many off these bearings over the years I'm fleet tech when I change these I dip the bearings in oil than install when I put the hub on I put some one in the pocket area between the bearings. Then normal just park the opposite side up on a block of wood or curb to allow lube to run out to bearings, make sure to recheck gear lube level after truck has set on level surface over night VERY IMPORTANT