PDA

View Full Version : Lug Bolts galled

HammerWerf
09-28-2005, 14:03
Folks,

After 20 years of having the tires rotated at the tire shops, with their hi powered air guns, I am having trouble taking the nuts off with my hand tools. Makes doing simple jobs like brakes real time consuming, trying to get the nuts off.

Is it possible to correct the thread on the studs, or do they have to be replaced?? Any other ideas?

HammerWerf

NH2112
09-28-2005, 15:23
You should be able to run a die down the studs and the threads will be good as new. I'd replace the wheel nuts at the same time, because odds are they got messed up from the galled studs.

CleviteKid
09-29-2005, 03:26
At least here in the United States, new wheel studs are relatively cheap. I would be concerned about microscopic cracks at the roots of the threads in the damaged studs. Also, new studs will have rolled threads, which forges and strengthens the metal during the thread rolling process. Cleaning up the threads by recutting them with a die could induce microscopic cracks by itself.

For the safety of you, your family, and other drivers on the road, please consider replacing the studs and the nuts with new ones.

Dr. Lee :cool:

rjschoolcraft
09-29-2005, 09:54
I concur with Dr. Lee. Especially since, in my experience, the aftermarket lug bolts that I have purchased seem to be less likely to gall. They appear to be harder than the factory bolts.