PDA

View Full Version : turbo 400 on m1008

cass
10-13-2005, 17:06
i have a m1008 with a th400. it seems to start out in drive and never downshifts? any ideas? i can manually shift it but it will not go from 1 to 2 then 3. i did get it to shift from 2 to 3 by itself. i have a new mod valve in it now but have not check the vacuum but the previous owner said the vac was ok thanks cas

twaddle
10-18-2005, 11:15
Hi Cass,
Have a look at the side of the fuel injection pump across from the throttle cable side.

There should be two vacuum hoses connected to a valve that is linked to a shaft at the pump governor control which moves with the throttle /pedal position. One of the hoses connects to the control diagphram on the side of the transmission.
If the valve is faulty or in need of adjustment the transmission can receive a constant vacuum and change quickly up into third gear.

The other case may be that someone has removed the hoses from the valve at the fuel injection pump and linked them together so that the transmission is getting a constant vacuum, which causes it to change up quickly.
This disconnection and linking the hoses together (which is what I did to my M1008) is usually done if the control valve at the fuel pump is at fault and the transmission won't change up until the engine is revving its heads off, .

Hope this helps.

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland